We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of pickpockets

Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
Beware of pickpockets

Just returned from a short vacation in Makati,Phillipines.

Stayed in Dusit Thani and totally love it. Though the decor is rather old, but,the service is excellent and it's very clean.

It's my first time in the Phillipines and hat surprise me is the cleaniness of the road. I've been to many other cities in the world and I would say that Manila ranked among the cleanest that I've seen.

However,careful of the elevator scam. A friend of mine was a victim of it whereby the pickpockets will sandwich you front and back and suddenly stopped at the end of the escalator resulting in a mini unavoidable bump. Before she know it,her pouch was unzipped and her purse taken. To cut the story short,managed to react on time and stopped 2 ladies with the helped of the guards at the Greenbelt. True enough, they were in posession of my friend's purse.

So,there are many of this modus operandi being used all over the world so fellow travellers,do exercise extra caution.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Beware of pickpockets

one of the cleanest?....i almost fainted.

Level Contributor
7 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Beware of pickpockets

Ha ha..only the road But not the air and limited to those places that I visited ie makati and batangas

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,930 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Beware of pickpockets

It is one of my safety rules for the Philippines. Never ever carry any type of bag. If you must carry a bag, make sure it has nothing important in it such as passport, cash or valuables.

I also don't carry a wallet. I have money in front pockets which are secured by zippers, velcro or buttons, which makes it harder for a pick pocket.

I also carry large notes, P200 and above, in a separate pocket to the smaller notes, so any potential pick pocket will not know where my main stash of cash is located.

Regards; Jim Sibbick

Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
20,178 posts
254 reviews
4. Re: Beware of pickpockets

I love your reaction edwinic. Makati is clean but definitely not Manila. Thanks for divulging this type of scam. Wherever you are traveling always be mindful of your belongings specially your wallet. I live here in the Philippines and I never lost a wallet... but only after 5 days in Chicago, Illinois I became a victim of pickpocket by a teenager. It's a good thing that it is only my wallet for loose change and not the one with all my IDs and credit cards.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Beware of pickpockets

the road to batangas...from tagaytay to lian, for example.

6. Re: Beware of pickpockets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2011, 06:16