We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights & accomodation - Trying to get to Palawan from Asia

Vancouver, B.C...
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Flights & accomodation - Trying to get to Palawan from Asia

Hi, We're a group of 8 travelling around S.E. Asia, we've heard that Palawan is the place to see in the Phillipines. Can anyone recommend the best (cheapest) flights to get there (from Hong Kong, Bangkok, KL or Singapore)? We're going mid-Feb. this year. We've read the Cebu/Pacific horror stories, so we'll stay away from that!

Trying to find Air Asia flight passes, does anyone know if they still exist or if theres something similar?

Coron seems to sound good. We like snorkeling/diving, some shopping, etc., preferably not to touristy! (if it's not too much to ask!!!!) Would love to know of some decent (not expensive places to stay) All help greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights & accomodation - Trying to get to Palawan from Asia

Hi,

We have flown to the Philippines twice, once from Hong Kong and last November from KL. Both times with Cebu Pacific and had no problems at all. So I wouldn't rule them out, as they do have some very good prices on their promos.

Yes Palawan is great, but there are also lots of other great places to explore - depends on how much time you have there. We spent a month in Nov/Dec and also visited North Luzon for trekking. Stunning scenery (but not much snorkeling!!).

We flew back to KL with Air Asia - I don't think they do the air passes any more.

Didn't get to Coron, but loved El Nido and ended up spending almost 2 weeks there. Sabang is a much overlooked beach to stay for a few days. not too touristy (after the underground river tours have departed). We loved it and stayed 4 nights.

Not too touristy and shopping don't always go hand in hand - but perhaps there is some retail therapy in Purto Princesa.

Might help for people to recommend places to stay if you define what you think not expensive - in pesos - is.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 09:22
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,976 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights & accomodation - Trying to get to Palawan from Asia

Hello there. If you want to go via Kuala Lumpur then I would recommend the ASEAN Pass of Malaysia Airlines. Between Coro, Puerto Princesa and El Nido I would say that El Nido is the least touristy and the most beautiful.

Regarding Cebu Pacific, if you compare the on-time performance of Air Canada with Cebu Pacific then statistics would reveal that Cebu Pacific is more punctual than Air Canada

www.aircanada.com/en/about/otp/index.html

cebupacificair.com/aboutus/on-time-performan…

Other budget airlines that fly to Manila are Tiger Airways and Jetstar of Singapore. Air Asia don't land in Manila, it lands at Clark Airport which is 80 kms. north of Manila.

For the shopping part, you'll enjoy it in Manila and not Palawan.

Vancouver, B.C...
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights & accomodation - Trying to get to Palawan from Asia

Thank-you both for your information! ASEAN passes were discontinued Jan. 1/11 unfortunately. It's proving rather expensive to get there. We're going to Kota Kinabulu, which looks quite close. We might just have to settle for only there. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,841 posts
1,983 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights & accomodation - Trying to get to Palawan from Asia

Why not look up the extensive Cebu Pacific route network?

I have only been delayed on them once for two hours (Jakarta to Manila); my other 18 or so flights have been either early, on time or up to half an hour late.

5J's ontime performance is better than Australia's doemstic airlines, so like kegler747 I cannot understand the negativity. You should be able to get from Kota Kinabula via Manila to Puerto Princesa for a reasonable cost.

Edited: 23 January 2011, 05:06
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights & accomodation - Trying to get to Palawan from Asia

Air Asia actually flies from Kota Kinabalu to Clark in the Philippines. Alternatively, both Cebu Pacific and Air Asia fly from Kuala Lumpur to Clark.

Although Clark is a couple of hours out of Manila, there is a convenient bus service that meets every Asia flight and takes you right into Manila.

You definitely must see Palawan and Coron/Busuanga is beautiful with plenty to see. You won`t be disappointed. Zest Air also flies to Busuanga and they are very cheap.

Don`t be too concerned about Cebu Pacific. I flew with them numerous times while I was volunteering in the Philippines and they only cancelled a flight on me once and delayed me one other time. It`s not as bad as the reviews suggest.

However, I would not suggest either like the previous poster that their performance is better than Air Canada. There are a lot of other considerations to factor in on why those statistics are the way they are! But we`ll leave that debate for another forum ;)

6. Re: Flights & accomodation - Trying to get to Palawan from Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 06:16