We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,164 reviews
Save Topic
Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

At my behest, TA staff have kindly added a largish number of hotels, other accommodation and tourist attractions in and around Cagayan de Oro and iligan City, Mindanao.

This is a rather neglected part of the TA universe despite the significant economic growth Cagayan de Oro in particular is experiencing.

Any intrepid TAers who have ventured to these necks of the woods in the past year and who have partaken of a meal or visited a tourist attraction in the vicinity are most welcome to post a formal review on TA by going to 'write a review' on TA's home page and following the prompts.

Hopefully the restaurant or attraction you visited will now be listed, saving you the wait for TA to approve it for inclusion on the database. I look forward to reading any new reviews regarding this part of Mindanao, as CDO in particular is fast growing, apparently beginning to attract significant investment in call or business process outsourcing centres. Hopefully this will have a positive, multiplier-like effect on Mindanao's economy.

Mentioned in this post
Mindanao
Mindanao
Philippines
Divers Community Club
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
fairfield...
Level Contributor
902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

Vlad,

....I'm heading for Cagayan de Oro, February 14-21 for the PAL(Philippine Air Lines) Golf Invitational.

....Although, not my habit to post reviews; i'll try, upon my return, to post reviews of the noteworthy ones. Thanks for the heads up.

....Reviews on the country's golf courses?....hmmmm, it's a thought.

...."Life's too short"..Enjoy, my friends!!....:-)

Papalo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

papalo, your offer to post some Cagayan de Oro area reviews is very kind.

You have also taught me something that I did not know. I had incorrectly assumed that because golf courses would be considered by TA as being connected with 'sport', golf courses would not qualify to be listed as a 'tourist attraction' on TA.

However, when I typed in 'golf course', a large number of formal TA reviews came up. If you would like to PM me with the names of some Filipino golf courses that you would like listed on the TA database, I can ask TA staff to include them which will mean that when you visit one in the future or want to review one at which you have played in the past, you do not have to wait a few business days for the listing request to be acted upon, and nor do ypou have to submit the beige-backgrounded TA listing request form that requires provision of a link to a verifiable Internet site. I will do all that for you.

Let's sensibly try to promote the Philippines through TA. Its United States-inspired golfing heritage is of no interest to me but it will be to many others, despite what I would have thought would be the difficulty of playing a sport like golf in 30 degree heat and 85 per cent humidity.

You must be made of stern stuff, papalo. I look foward to reading Cagayan de Oro area reviews from you.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

I have submitted a few reviews on restaurants and a hotel in Iligan City which are now in the " Pending " state. I will see if those show up and then put some additional ones together. I attempted to post some reivews on this site in the past but don't know where they ever ended up.

There are some additional things I could review about Iligan City but I don't know if there are any listed categories for them or any place for general interest type or reviews on this website.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

Bob

On TA's home page, find 'write a review' and put in the name of the establishment then if it is not listed, you will need to go to a beige-coloured box with a few fields: type in as much as you know.

Adding an Internet link increases the chances of the attraction, hotel or restaurant being listed. this takes two to four working days.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

Thanks for the info. It took a few days for the first reviews I posted to be approved. Many of the pics were rejecteed but pics of the places I review can be found in many other places on the internet is anyone is interested.

When I get a chance I will post reviews of a few attractions, although I am not sure of the total criteria on this website for that

Bob.

Butuan, Philippines
Level Contributor
37 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

what about the white water rafting?hope its included in the attractions..:)

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

Whit Water Rafting is a major attraction in Cagayan De Oro but it will be a future one for me. There are many items on the internet about White Water Rafting in CDO so I am sure it will not be difficult for you to find an abundance of articles, pics and video about it from others.

Manila
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

White water rafting is a great reason to go to Cagayan de Oro. The starting point is in Mambuaya, 30 minutes from the city. There are several groups that are accredited by the local government but I have concerns about how these groups operate.

I was with a large group that booked rafting trips with a coordinator for several of these rafting outfits. Early on we already said that there were not enough rafts. The coordinator never showed his face or addressed the group's concerns. It was pure disorganization. I was all the more incensed because the rafting groups had been paid the day before and this was how we were being treated. My group had to wait 4 hours in the blazing sun to get a raft but the gear was incomplete so some of us decided not to go. Although the contract was for a 3-4 hour rafting trip, because it was already 1730H, we had to opt for a shorter one-hour trip. The helmets stank of old money and the life vests smelled of body odor but what the hey, we were finally going to shoot rapids so I didn’t put up a fuss. The short course was worth the aggravation because we got to go over class IV rapids. Never mind that I couldn’t see the last set of rapids because the sun had set by then.

My concerns regarding safety issues are the following:

(1) Shouldn’t the guides be strict about a “no helmet/vest, no rafting” policy? Even if not enough helmets were brought, one guide told us it was okay to go on the river.

(2) Shouldn’t there be an age limit followed for kids going on advanced courses? I do not think a 7-year old should be allowed to go on an advanced course no matter how unthinking his parents or guides are.

(3) Shouldn’t the equipment be sanitized in between runs? The Cagayan river, although seemingly unpolluted, receives effluent from nearby chicken and pig farms, not to mention the hundreds of people who pee into it.

With the amount of disorganization, it makes one wonder if safety really is a concern. Adventure doesn’t translate to recklessness. Since the local government apparently has control over accreditation of the rafting companies, it should re-evaluate these groups on a yearly basis. Cagayan de Oro has a very good thing going. It would be a pity to exploit this resource (the river) without ensuring the safety of customers who are what drive the local economy.

I will go white water rafting again but on my terms.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,182 posts
2,164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

Lilinani, why don't you (preferably) write to or (second best) email the local tourism office in CDO.

This sort of feedback is very important.

You could also write a brief letter to the editor of one of the local newspapers in CDO.

Filipino tourism is fast growing, which makes it all the more important that despite it being a developing country, sensible safety standards are enforced.

The bad publicity resulting from a mishap on the river when someone wasn't wearing a helmet or a lifejacket would cause a fair bit of damage and a loss of tourism income.

Edited: 07 May 2011, 13:21
Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
143 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cagayan de Oro and Iligan attractions and restaurants added

Hi Lilliani,

It may be a good idea to express your concerns with the Region 10 Board of Tourism which is headquartered in Cagayan De Oro. The person in charge is Mr. Chan. I stopped into their office once and they are most concerned that visitors and tourists have a pleasant visit in CDO. They are quite responsive to complaints.