We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling alone

Manchester, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travelling alone

Hello all, I'm planning on travelling to South East Asia by my self for a year and I'm trying to figure out where to go. I've pretty much got it sorted but I've read a lot about the Philippines and how people have said not to go alone there cause its not the safest place to go for a westerner . Is this really the case? What's the best way to approach this? Want to go there but obviously a bit concerned about what I've read on internet about the Philippines. Is there places there this is not the case?

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,847 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling alone

I hope you will change your perception of the Philippines after reading these:

…wordpress.com/2011/…

and

…wordpress.com/2011/…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,667 posts
1,577 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling alone

voyager2be

Ive travelled to the Philippines many times and have never had an issue. The place is safe and as said many times before on this forum take the same precautions you would in your own country. If you present opportunities for the unsavoury characters of the world they will take advantage whether it be Manila Melbourne or Manchester.

If you use the search function of this forum there are lots of threads on this topic.

The Philippines has a great deal to offer as a holiday destination. Read the FAQs top right hand corner for more information.

Happy and safe travels.

Tommo

ireland
Level Contributor
522 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling alone

Im Married to a Philipino,We go to her home place every year,while she and the kids stay with her folks I go off back packing on my own.I found it one of the most friendliest countries i have visited.They are keen to chat & help out.

Enjoy

Noel

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling alone

Here are additional references which you may want to consider...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294245-i3256-k438…

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling alone

noel - stock up on the b+c before u go -ur bound to lose a few pound- only eating rice for a month ,take care travelling by yourself -u never know who u might meet there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling alone

“I've read a lot about the Philippines and how people have said not to go alone there cause its not the safest place to go for a westerner.”

I am not sure what you’ve been reading or who’ve you have been talking with, but technically countries aren’t dangerous – its (a small minority) of the people that are; purely semantics. However, to be honest there are places in parts of London that I would be more concerned with than the Philippines, and I am sure this would also apply in Manchester.

Providing you observe common sense rules, as you would at home I don’t know what you are concerned with. Read up any travel guides, as much as you can beforehand, you will find a balanced view of the pros and cons, after this ask questions on the forum.

Twenty years ago, (June 1990) when I first visited the Philippines, in my youth, to Manila, Cebu & Mindanao and the only place I had any issues, was in Manila, due to taxis, hotels trying to overcharge. But in the place that everybody kept warning me not to visit, Mindanoa was my nicest experience. Okay, it did take a bit of adjustment seeing guys on motorbikes with M16 slung across their backs riding pasts or asking where I was from and what I was doing there. I did meet another Italian lad who was down there to marry a local girl. I was staying with a local family of seven sisters for a week, one of them was my penfriend, the other was a family in Cebu.

However the moral of this story is you are not the first single person to have travelled to the Philippines and I doubt you’ll be the last. So don’t miss out on a great opportunity to visit such an interesting country.

Edited: 04 June 2011, 19:37
Leicester
Level Contributor
447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling alone

If I could have asked the same question in 1985 I would have done. I was booked to go on my first Philippines trip in 1986 but the country was kind of busy that year so I booked the same trip for 1987. Been travelling there pretty much every year or every other year since then and I still chuckle about what I'd been warned of and about the million things to look out for and beware of.

The country is so big and there is so much diversity that you could spend at least a month touring and not even touch the so called hot spots.

I'm sure after you've been you'll be posting trip reports and telling people what a great place it is to visit and how they should ignore what they read in the press.

Bulacan Philippines
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling alone

People here are generally nice and friendly towards visitors.

Just take some common sense precations.

Don't wear lots of jewelry and bling. Just a simple cheap watch would be good enough.

Keep your wallet in your front pocket, and have some extra money stashed in your sock or shoes, just in case of a pickpocketing incident.

Keep valuables in a hotel room safe.

Ask the hotel staff for some good tips about how things work in the area you're staying. Best places to visit, eat, regular prices of commodities, taxi fares, services, etc.

Good luck and have fun.

Edited: 05 June 2011, 05:04
9. Re: travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 21:19