We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

Hi there. We are a family of 4 wanting to visit the Philippines, traveling from Singapore. We have 5/6 days to play with. I have spent hours trawling through the useful advice that's on TA but I am still confused and wonder if anyone can help please!

We ideally would like to stay somewhere with a great beach and great snorkeling. Medium to lower budget ie. we are not on honeymoon and can't afford those lovely resorts! Borocay and Panglao (?) sound a little too busy for us. So I have been looking at Palawan. Both Coron and El Nido offer great beach and snorkeling opportunities but often people seem to have to stay at these places and travel out on day trips to the great beaches.... Is there any island we could travel to, from which we could still make the day trips as well as just exploring the island itself? ... Or what about Malapascua? Thanks!

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

are u flying into manila or cebu ,what month?.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

I haven't been here but some travellers I met in El Nido were raving about Anda in Bohol Island. The place is about over an hour's drive from the airport though but is much less touristy than Panglao and you still get access to the other sites in the island aside from the beach. There are only a few resorts there at the moment and a lot of them are relatively new. Among others that looked interesting:

http://www.amun-ini.com/

http://www.vitaminsearesort.com/

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,731 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

Here's a trip report of Coron from your fellow Singaporean --> tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g729733-i12570-k52…

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

Anda sounds interesting. Might go check that out.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

Hey thanks for all the advice - I will digest!

In response to the first query, clareirishman, I have not got my act together yet so am flexible on where I fly in to - Cebu or Manila. We travel mid-May. Thanks again to all!

Edited: 30 March 2012, 04:32
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,699 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

I do not know is this a good suggestion.

One island you may want to consider is Sumilon. Fly into Dumaguete and spend an hour or two to travel to Sumilon.

Since it is near Oslob, you can even try to get to swim with the whale shark there.

Near to Dumaguete is Siquijor too.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

http://www.sangat.com.ph/

Add to your digestion

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
1,970 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

Try Siquijor Island.

Fly to Dumaguete City, then do a car transfer (P150 only, although they'll ask for P300 - just bargain them down) to Dumaguete Port (this takes 15 - 20 minutes: there's a back road to avoid the main street), then a fast ferry (Delta) or pump boat with the sea portion taking 52 - 90 minutes depending on the vessel.

I recommend Coco Grove Beach resort on Siquijor Island: they will pick you up (P400 one way) or you can hire a multi-cab (jeepney like vehicle) at the end of the pier (P300 per transfer). Get the multi-cab driver to do a day tour of the island the next day (P2100 including up the mountain to Butterfly sanctuary). See 'Siquijor Island attractions' on TA.

Book flights online with www.philippineairlines.com or www.cebupacificair.com

Edited: 30 March 2012, 09:43
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

Thank you all so much for your replies. I am still 'digesting' and will report back as to what we decide. Great leads though.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on family holiday in the Philippines please!

I'll second that - Coco Grove is a lovely place to stay in Siquijor.