We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
1,993 reviews
Save Topic
Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

A post by leftovertoo in another forum set me thinking.

I have had very positive dental experiences in Pasay City, Metro Manila. The dentist did his work for a fraction (about 20 per cent) of what I would pay ion Australia if that: the quality seemed good to me as a layman.

Philippines doesn't yet market itself as much as Thailand or Singapore for medical including dental tourism, but with two million Filipinos in California alone, 160,000 in Australia and so on, it must be a growing source of revenue.

Have any other members come to Phils for either reason? Whereabouts were you treated, in broad terms what was it for and how was the experience? What percentage or amount did you save (if any) when airfares and (if needed) acconmodation were factored in?

Edited: 17 May 2012, 12:29
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,348 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

Actually the Philippines does market itself but I think the market is limited to the Pacific Islands, Micronesia, Marianas etc. Do a quick search and you will see many articles such as this..

rxpinoy.com/medicaltourismphilippines/index.…

Makati Medical, St. Lukes, Medical Center, etc to name a few are big into this.

We or family members have had surgery at Makait Medical and St. Lukes and have seen doctors at many other hospitals.

Overall, medical services are fine, but if its a major surgery, which many come to Manila for, I prefer to do it back home.

2. Re: Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 June 2012, 07:56
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

i know of two korean sisters, one from california and another from korea who went to a fairly well known dentist/oral surgeon in the ortigas area.they had done some prior research, made some intial calls and scheduled appointments in advance of their trips. they were very satfied with the results and savings. the idea initially came by word of mouth not in response to any promotional campaign. from what i recall the cost was 1/5 to 1/4 what it would have cost them in the US or korea.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,348 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

medical is okay depending on what you do and where, but dental is not the same in my opinion.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

Dental :- it's cheap, but the standards of hygiene worry me.

Other Medical :- Manila has hospitals with some of the best equipment in the world and a recent CT Scan at Cardinal Santos cost around $350, which was much cheaper than UK.

What often spoils the experience (and I include St Luke's with Cardinal Santos in this) is the awful state of many of the visiting doctors consulting rooms, usually tiny and generally not promoting a feeling of confidence in the system.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,348 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

Vetus, good points. Also, orthodontics can not or should not be done in Philippines as many doctors will not tighten braces as an example once you get back home if done in the Philippines. I will do emergency dental but beyond that no way.

There is no malpractice in the Philippines, so if your left damaged after surgery, you are sh+t out of luck. Upfront costs should not be the primary motivation for services.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

There are only few hospitals here in the Philippines which are accredited by Joint Commission International (JCI) and medical tourism organizations require them to be a member of JCI.

When my relatives from the U.S. visit us here I am the one accompanying them at Asian Hospital for their dental and other medical procedures and they have a dedicated staff for overseas guests.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

I was with a friend when he underwent lazic eye surgery (to correct his vision) in the American Eye Clinic in Greenbelt 5. We attended two prior appointments there before the treatment itself. The clinic was bright, modern, efficient and spotlessly clean. The staff were extremely professional and knowledgable and there was next to no waiting around. After a slew of tests and things to ensure the desired result was achieved, the treatment went without a hitch. It was somewhat painful and uncomfortable for a few hours afterwards but the results were instantaneous and he was able to throw away his glasses. Without doubt I would recommend this place, and it was a fraction of what he would have paid in the US.

manila
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

Keg, JCI accreditation doesn't necessarily translate to quality. Most of it deals on paperwork. Also, while the physical appearance of the clinics may not be top notch, I am of the opinion that that in the end, confidence in the physician and his/her ability will, or should be the determining factor.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,348 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Medical and dental tourism: what is your experience?

Sirenna, also had friends more than a few do the same surgery and saved much. They loved it.

The problem is though, ONE TIME, we had a 60 year old friend do that surgery and it was great, only one problem when he got home he was told at his age it should NOT have been done. No one advised him of that and when he checked on line, that advice is universal. Something to do with Glaucoma issues.