We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

Hi,

I am thinking of going for a 6 months (at least) trip to philippine with my partner and 2 years old son. but have NO idea about where to go and how easy it is to travel between islands. I guess we will want to spend 1 to 2 months in a place and then move to another island?! our budget is about £500/month for the 3 of us. we like to mix with the local community and avoid as much as possible the big touristy crowd. also looking for some nice beaches where our little boy can enjoy some nice swimming. if you have good suggestion about cheap accomodation (flat to rent?) would be great! we are thinking of going there in October. also which are the best flight companies to travel there from england?

THANKS!!

CAThailand

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

Reading your posts, the following comes to mind:

Palawan (El Nido, Port Barton), Siquijor, Camiguin, Cebu (Bantayan, Malapascua). You may likewise check the top questions on the upper right.

Unfortunately, there are currently no direct flights from the UK to the Philippines. However, the following airlines would require only 1 stop from London at least to manila: Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines. Perhaps even Malaysian and Thai Airways.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 13:07
Mentioned in this post
Palawan Island
Palawan Island
Palawan Province, Philippines
El Nido
El Nido
Palawan Island, Philippines
Port Barton
Port Barton
Palawan Island, Philippines
Siquijor Island
Siquijor Island
Visayas, Philippines
Camiguin
Camiguin
Mindanao, Philippines
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Bantayan Island
Bantayan Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
Malapascua Island
Malapascua Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
Pacific Cebu Resort
Pacific Cebu Resort
309 Reviews
Mactan Island, Philippines
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
2,171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

To potentially save money, check with travel agents as to how much a return fare to Manila is versus Singapore or Hong Kong, to name but two.

Perhaps the destinations will be almost 'common rated' but if Manila is quoted as &200 or moe expensive, consider travelling on your airline of choice to say Hong Kong and then booking Cebu Pacific, SE Asian Air (a Tiger Airways subsidiary) or AirphilsExpress between say HK and Manila or Cebu to save a bit.

I endorse Alona Beach, Panglao (fly or ferry to Tagbilaran City) and Siquijor Island (fly to Dumaguete City) as great white sand beach destinations. The volcanic island of Camiguin in Mindanao (not to be confused with the one north of Luzon) should be on your list too. TA member kegler747 is the world authority on the latter so send him a private message if you wish.

You may be able to stay in an hotel or resort for a week while you try to find longer term accommodation: supply may be pretty milimted. Try to bring as few belongings as possible: perhaps easier said than done for a six month stay.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Pacific Cebu Resort
Pacific Cebu Resort
309 Reviews
Mactan Island, Philippines
Alona Beach
Alona Beach
2,210 Reviews
Panglao Island, Philippines
Tagbilaran City
Tagbilaran City
Bohol Island, Philippines
Siquijor Island
Siquijor Island
Visayas, Philippines
Dumaguete City
Dumaguete City
Negros Island, Philippines
Camiguin
Camiguin
Mindanao, Philippines
Mindanao
Mindanao
Philippines
Luzon
Luzon
Philippines
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

yes, i would generally recommend the central visayas islands as mentioned by the above postings. i always thought that october-feb are best times to be in the phiippines. please keep in mind that tin order to break the beach routine, you may want to occassionaly dabble for a more festive flavor, that part of the country has its biggest cultural celebrations- with street partes etc in first part of the year---Ati-atihan,Sinulog, Masskara festivas--not to be missed.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

im sorry the maskara festival in bacolod is typically held in late october. still within your six month time frame..

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

Since you have 6 months in the Philippines, can I suggest that you spend a week or two in Northern Luzon?

The Rice Terrace of The Cordillera Administrative Region, Pugudpud and Vigan are all worthwhile sites if what they can offer interest you.

Mentioned in this post
Luzon
Luzon
Philippines
Cordillera Region
Cordillera Region
Luzon, Philippines
Vigan
Vigan
Luzon, Philippines
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,722 posts
2,114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

If you read the FAQs right hand side there is much good information on places to visit.

Id endorse the above suggestions but do a little reseach through top questions to decide on places that would suit your interests and likes.

In 6 months you could certainly cover a lot of ground. Subscribe to the major local airlines email alerts and you will pick up some very cheap promo fares.

Tommo

Philippines
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

Hi there! I agree with @miglovin, Central Visayas fits what you're looking for. Antique and Sorsogon in Central Visayas has excellent beaches and accommodations here are reasonably priced :). Cebu and Davao are more popular tourist spots but it's not crowded, Cebu has one of the most friendly locals (and amazing beaches!) and when in Davao (in Mindanao) head to Samal Island for a unique beach experience (vanishing island and mangroves).

While Rice Terraces is definitely a must visit spot (heritage site with amazing scenery, I don't think a 2 year old boy will appreciate it very much). Road travel is kind of long.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 05:41
Mentioned in this post
Visayas
Visayas
Philippines
Sorsogon
Sorsogon
Luzon, Philippines
Cebu Island
Cebu Island
Visayas, Philippines
Mindanao
Mindanao
Philippines
Samal Island
Samal Island
Mindanao, Philippines
Banaue Rice Terraces
Banaue Rice Terraces
802 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

Waou, thanks to all of you for your great detailed answers... its so exciting, I will do a bit more research on the different island and places you gave me and see where we will end up!!! do any of you have a website/name of a cheap but relyable flat/house renting company that cover some of those places??? would be a good place to start I think?!

Thanks again sooooo much!!!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

we are talking about 6 months here, you can go anywhere and everywhere. I suggest that you get a good book and start to read for yourself, then come back here to ask questions. Lonely Planet if one such book.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any suggestion for a 6 months trip to Philippine?

6 months ........ Wow.......

I can plan my trips from Batanes to Davao.

Wish it is me to have 6 months of break with a load of cash.

:)

Mentioned in this post
Province of Batanes
Province of Batanes
Luzon, Philippines