We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking in the Philippines - where to start!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Backpacking in the Philippines - where to start!

Hi everyone,

I will be travelling around the Philippines for 3 weeks from 18 August -10 July 2012. I am really excited to visit the Philippines, but am a bit confused as to where to go!

I will be travelling with two friends, and we love great snorkelling, relaxing beach bars, surfing, trekking and FOOD! - but we don't dive and we are not interested in night life.

Islands that I've come across so far that appear to be applicable include:

Palawan

Siargao

Bohol

We want to travel as cheap as possible, so keeping internal travel to a minimum is a priority - therefore it would be great to just go to 2 or 3 places maximum.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice you might have!

Thank you!

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacking in the Philippines - where to start!

Nice choices though I must admit that travelling between these islands can be quite challenging. Some blog resources that may be of some help:

http://www.lakas.com.ph/

http://www.thepinaysolobackpacker.com/

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacking in the Philippines - where to start!

Also remember try not to travel by ferry for long distance as you may encounter strong waves and wind during this period.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacking in the Philippines - where to start!

Thanks for those resources - we don't need to go to all 3 islands, we are happy even just to stay on one if there is enough to do. We are also open to any other suggestions of places to visit that you think might fit our requirements!

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpacking in the Philippines - where to start!

Strange. From August to July

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpacking in the Philippines - where to start!

Stay in Bohol(or Cebu). From there visit visit the nearby places.

ireland
Level Contributor
519 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Backpacking in the Philippines - where to start!

Try and fly into Cebu,that way you can go to Bohol,Malapascua & Bantayan.

I would spend a week in Palawan.

I havent been to Siargao yet but i think this time of year it could be pretty quite.

Enjoy

Noel

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,146 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Backpacking in the Philippines - where to start!

hit Cebu, explore as noted above beaches, then go to Bohol, then decide where to go, as back to Cebu then fly to Palawan. You can easily get tickets once in Cebu so you do not need to book in advance if you are unsure how long you will be in one place or another. Yes, you will pay more for a ticket, but the flexibility for a 3 week trip is worth it. You may meet your new brides in Bohol as an example and not want to venture further :-) Also, its rainy season so keep that in mind. I notice that you do NOT mention Boracay.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Backpacking in the Philippines - where to start!

I agree with leftover.

Cebu/Bohol first than Palawan.

For Palawan, choose either Coron or El Nido or you can even do both; one week in Cebu/Bohol/Panglao, 1 week in Coron and 1 week in El Nido.

Traveling time not included.

9. Re: Backpacking in the Philippines - where to start!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 10:17