We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do any Filipino airlines have foreign pilots?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
1,970 reviews
Save Topic
Do any Filipino airlines have foreign pilots?

I don't recall ever having heard a non-Filipino pilot or second officer come over the 'tannoy' (public address system) of a Filipino plane operating a commercial flight.

Do airlines such as Cebu Pacific, Philippine Airlines, its subsidiary AirphilsExpress, Zest Air, SE Asian Airlines or even the small AirAsiaPhilippines employ foreign captains, second officers or cockpit-based flight engineers, particularly Caucasians or others from the United States, Europe, Canada, Australia or NZ, or other Asian nationalities such as Singaporeans?

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do any Filipino airlines have foreign pilots?

I've taken a couple of flights with Cebu Pacific commandeered by foreign pilots. I once asked a Cebu FA and she told me that a number of them are Mexicans, South Americans and a couple of Russians. Both Cebu Pacific and PAL are currently on an aggressive recruitment campaign for captains, second officers and cabin crews.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do any Filipino airlines have foreign pilots?

Yes they do but the funny thing is the demand for Filipino pilots is also high in other countries.

PAL [used to] has the reputation of having great pilots who always made very smooth landings.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do any Filipino airlines have foreign pilots?

You're right Justin L, I've so far flown two Jetstar flights with Filipino pilots. I likewise know a pinoy CX senior captain and have heard that Middle Eastern airlines employ quite a number of senior Filipino flight crews. Of course we already know that these ME airlines are already staffed by a significant number of Filipino ground and cabin crews.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do any Filipino airlines have foreign pilots?

I believe I had taken more than 20 flights with Filipino airlines.

The best landing I have experience is with PAL in May 2011.

Fortunately I am awake else I do not even know the plane has landed!

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,735 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do any Filipino airlines have foreign pilots?

A PAL pilot friend told me that the airline is so obsessive with their landings because it is where a percentage of accidents happen that is why PAL is so serious with landing trainings. My view on this is that when those pilots land in the short runways of Tacloban, Legaspi and former Iloilo airports with an Airbus then landing in international airports would be a piece of cake.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,196 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do any Filipino airlines have foreign pilots?

Yes, have seen foreign pilots often. My last landing in Davao on Zest Air, seemed to hit twice or the plane bounced, really rough.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,735 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do any Filipino airlines have foreign pilots?

Rather than foreign pilots, what I miss is the "all female" crew (captain, 1st officer & FAs) of Cebu Pacific.

8. Re: Do any Filipino airlines have foreign pilots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 05:18