We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
18 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

i ve been reading about manila and pinatubo tours...planning to visit with my family..just to be sure that those places are safe for us,muslims..tq so very much

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
1,974 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

Philippines is 83 per cent Catholic.

I am unaware of any incidents where Catholics (and other Christians) are hostile towards Muslims.

Unfortunately, the reverse does occur, but that is a topic outside TA's ambit as it is a travel forum.

You should be safe in Philippines.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

To be honest, nobody will be bothered whether are you Muslims, Buddhist or Hindu.

I have seen Muslims in Manila.

Just be friendly and polite.

Filipinos are usually very welcoming people.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

I echo the same sentiments. Though the Philippines is predominantly Christian, Filipinos are generally welcoming and tolerant of other religions. Nothing much to worry about being Muslim.

Asia
Level Contributor
663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

Hi syaz. I totally agree with the previous posters. It is definitely very safe for Muslims to travel in the Philippines.

I am just curious where your concern comes from? Is there any particular reason for you to think that traveling in the Philippines is unsafe for Muslims?

Have a great and enjoyable trip!

Q

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
1,576 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

You will have no issues visiting the Philippines. I have seen many Muslim visitors here during my travels.

The only part of the Philippines where one needs to exercise extreme caution relates to certain parts of Mindanao which VL has briefly touched on but the violence isnt perpetrated against Muslims but more against Westerners by extremists.

Enjoy your visit as its a great holiday destination!

Tommo

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,468 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

Filipino Muslims live in almost all parts of Luzon now and many will be found as stallholders in markets. The only problem you may have is finding halal food

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
18 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

fellow travellers,

i really appreciate all the comments...i'm sorry if my question did hurt anybody..i didnt mean to..i just wanna make sure that everything will be alright because i am going to travel with my little kid.i did read about a few safety issues for travellers that come to visit philippines,and for me to eliminate those, i posted this particular question and honestly asked about what worrying me, thats all.read too many negative things on the net that led me to this.i am very glad to hear all the possitive feedback because we really looking fwd to experience a lot of wonderful places in philippines..

and may i have opinions from you guys whether it is safe to bring my 7yo kid to pinatubo?

tq so very much

syaz

Asia
Level Contributor
663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

I did not feel offended at all and safety is always our concern as travellers. It is legitimate to ask and I am glad that you will go.

I am sure you will like it.

I haven't been to Mt. Pinatubo but I am confident some TA members will advise you on that.

Q

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,846 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

All religions are welcome to visit the Philippines. Besides, Filipinos are from the Malay race so I may look like a Malaysian and you may look like a Filipino so why feel unsafe.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,258 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is it safe to travel to manila and pinatubo for muslims?

expect to be spoken to in tagalog.

Pinatubo may not be safe for a 7 year old and often its not safe for adults either, Check in advance on this.