We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holy week 2013

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holy week 2013

Hi need help!

Me and my girlfriend arrived in Palawan today, we are traveling to Sabang then el nido then coron,we are wanting to visit boracay, Cebu, Bohol, negros and around before we head to luzon around the 16th,17th ov April, we could do with some advice on wher to spend holy week as I have read its expensive for accommodation and it's really hard to travel in some places!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holy week 2013

holy week is very expensive and also hard to get places in the more popular destinations such as Boracay. You can still find places on Boracay as a walk in though. March 24th to 31st, I would stay put in one area.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holy week 2013

If you want to experience the most crowded island that you can possibly see then go to Boracay during the holy week.

Island destinations like Siquijor, Coron, El Nido and Camiguin would definitely be less crowded.

3. Re: Holy week 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 March 2013, 10:35
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Holy week 2013

What's holy week in Cebu Island like?expensive?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holy week 2013

Most Mactan hotels in Cebu are completely sold out for holy week (I know, I tried), but if you're low maintenance, city-based hotels still have rooms available. Of course, if you're going to Cebu you're there for the beach, so I'd hunt down a room at any decent beachfront hotel.

As for room prices, no, not really? It's more of volume that's the issue.

If money isn't an issue and if you like the diving scene, I'd recommend Malapascua (still in Cebu). Thresher sharks!

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Holy week 2013

Of course, if you're going to Cebu you're there for the beach -why ? maybe thats why they are going boracay and bohol

Edited: 09 March 2013, 17:50
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holy week 2013

Accommodations are expensive as it is considered as "peak season" and because of a very long weekend.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holy week 2013

I agree with Kegler,

Holy week holidays start from 28 March to 1 April.

1) Nearly all places will be more crowded thean earlier (means please book your accommodation in advance)

2) Places popular with Filipino tourists will be VERY crowded (Boracay, Cebu, parts of Bohol like Tagbilaran, Alona beach, Baguio, parts of Palawan like Puerto Princessa) - DO NOT go there during holy week

3) Places that are NOT so popular with Filipino tourists will be less crowded (Siquijor, Bantayan, Malapascua) - mind you, I said "less" not "not"

4) Places that are least popular with Filipino tourists will be least crowded (Apo island, .... and similar non touristy places)

5) A MAJOR issue will be - avoid traveling anywhere during holy week - buses will be jam packed, everyone will be returning to their province on 27-28 March, so ferries and buses will be full. Everyone will be returning to cities on 1st so ditto.

Choose a nice less developed place for holy week, and stay put there.

(By the way, I am not sure what you find interesting, but I find watching Filipino groups enjoying themselves during holy week interesting too - so a little more crowd may not be so bad. After all, I assume you would already have had your heart's fill of empty beaches prior to holy week - how about some change and variety - huh? I mean, points 3 and 4 above just may be worth exploring )

Columbia, Louisiana
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Holy week 2013

Well, it honestly depends on how you like to spend your time... do you like to be in a warm environment or do you like to be out in the cool air??? Do you like to see beautiful sceneries or just looking somewhere to spend time together?? If your the romantic type, then take your girlfriend to a nice restaurant or maybe you can take her to Boracay and you can have a nice picnic and hold hands while walking down by the water. Its very beautiful and she should love that...what girl wouldn't? Well maybe if she's not the romantic type, then no. Or maybe take her to a museum?? Is she that type to enjoy it?? Do what your heart tells you on that one.... But a great place to stay in Boracay is the Island Jewel Inn...its $30 and up!! Sorry if I gave you more answers than you wanted!!!

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holy week 2013

I don't think Matthew would reply in this thread anymore because Holy Week 2013 was more than a month ago.