We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Reminder - Maritime Safety

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Topic
A Reminder - Maritime Safety

channelnewsasia.com/stories/….html

I put this article is not to talk anything bad about the country but to remind all visitors that if you see the boat (what ever size they are) you are going to take is overloaded, do not board them please.

Philippines maritime safety is not something to be proud of but I understand why some Filipinos are willing to take such a risk.

As a tourist, please exercise caution and diligence.

Tao Expeditions
Sightseeing Tours
Smokey Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Yolo Travel Philippines
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Divers Community Club
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Reminder - Maritime Safety

It doesn't say if it was a private boat or public transport.

Public transport boats require an inspection by the coast guard before departure. Even if they are only a bangka boat (out rigger), licenced to carry 10 passengers.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Reminder - Maritime Safety

I believe the banca mentioned in the article is an unregulated one.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Reminder - Maritime Safety

MH.

statistically , boat travel is still very safe, sure you should take precautions, but you have more chance of injury or death on Philippines roads, any roads for that matter

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Reminder - Maritime Safety

Many operators adhere to safety regulations.

2go Travel, TransAsia Shipping and Cokaliong Shipping have strict passenger limits. In January when I travelled from Naval to Hinatangan Island on a bangka seating about 30, the coast guard made a couple of passengers disembark as it seemed he considered that there were too many on the vessel.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Reminder - Maritime Safety

I must agree so far my travel in boats in the Philippines has been pleasant.

The most worrying trip I have that is not due to weather is between Malapascua and Maya. The boats used are all so old but thankfully the weather is good.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Reminder - Maritime Safety

I agree with MH.

The only "unsafe" boat trip I had in the Philippines was during the boat transfer (big bangka to small boat) when going to and from Malapascua - Maya. The waves were BIG, the boat was bobbing up and down, and there was nothing to hold (we were all on our fours!). The Visaya middle aged lady next to me had her grandson in her arms - she said her prayers aloud a lot of times :)

It was the only thing I did not like about the trip (of course, we laughed it off as part of the adventure.... but that was just us making the most of the moment)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Reminder - Maritime Safety

Talk about the transfer....... hahahhaha

I am also at all fours with my haversack behind me.....

Well, that was part of the fun.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Reminder - Maritime Safety

The first time I transferred at low tide at Maya, I asked how will I get into the bangka boat. The man said ...."jump"

They stop the bangka boats travelling between Maya and Malapascua in rough weather. In June 2006, I waited several days for the boats to resume before giving up. I ended up on Camiguin instead so it worked out for the best in the end.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Reminder - Maritime Safety

I found transferring from the bigger boat to the small bangka upon arriving at Maya from Malapascua Island challenging. However one of the boatman assisted me.

I then had to clamber over a few rocks. This needs improvement!

Edited: 28 March 2013, 12:09
10. Re: A Reminder - Maritime Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:16