We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

Tourists in the Philippines often are taken aback by the widespread use of armed security personnel at Jollibees, plush malls, 7-11 groceries in the Philippines as if to reaffirm the nation's media image for being a lawless place in Asia.

But Afghanistan it is not, and apparently not like Thailand either , as cited in a recent Reuters article cited statistics indicating the widespread use of guns in thailand which was exponentially higher than in the Philippines . There 5.3 gun murders per 100,000 people in thailand versus only 0.2 gun murders in the Philippines.

reuters.com/article/2012/10/21/us-thailand-g…

Edited: 28 March 2013, 23:25
Tao Expeditions
Sightseeing Tours
Smokey Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Yolo Travel Philippines
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Divers Community Club
Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

One thing to note is that we should not get carried away.

I do not know about the statistics of murder or crimes that is committed using guns in each country.

We can only "prove" Philippines is safer than Thailand if murder or crimes that is committed using guns is lower than Thailand.

More guns may not mean more crime committed using guns.

I hope all of you get what I mean.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

@mh- precisely--the article goes on to cite stats which state that thai gun murder rate in 2011 to be 5.3 victims per 100,000 people versus 0.2 victims per 100,000 people in the philippines

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

In that case, seems like the media "love" Philippines more as they report more crimes committed using guns here!

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,838 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

I'm glad that for once a thread title comparing 2 countries with a word "versus" did not result in bashing one country for the benefit of the other. I guess all are being diplomatic here ;-)

Anyway, I think that crimes involving guns are very well reported and logged accordingly. If someone got hospitalized or died from a bullet then all hospitals and funeral parlors need to report it immediately to the police or else face big fines.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

I think the statistics area a little misleading.

In 2002 there were 10 deaths by firearm in the Philippines per 100,000, so that would be double for Thailands recorded figure of 5.3 for 2011, does this mean deaths by fiream have gone down in the last 10 yrs, or was 2011 just a low crime yr for the Phillpines?

Compare this to 10 deaths per 100,000 in 2012 for USA,or one of the worst places in the world for gun crimes,Jamaica, which averaged over 40 deaths by firearm for many yrs, people still flock to Jamaica for Vacation, and as far as I know still come to the USA, .

Regardless of how we perceive statistics I do hope that gun crime in the Philippines has decreased, and it is a shame that for Thailand perhaps these figures have gone up.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

not to belabor the point but thai stats for early 2000s also indicated that thailand at some point was hitting around 10 gun murder victims per 100,000 per year

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

personally, i believe the negative perception issue as far as the philippinesw is concerned is partly because of an overzealous private media ( much of it in English) w ith a heavy competition among publications and are therefore biased towards more sensationalistic type of reporting. as compared to its neighboring SE Asian nations who have a tendency to exercise greater control over the content of its mainstream media. Ive noticed for example that among thai english publications, that there is some tendency to downplay stories that may tend to pub the kingdom in a bad light and threaten the golden egg of tourism and malaysia, where the govt exercises control over the mainstream media--and a tighter hold on the message, even in the commentary pages. but this takes us too far afield. my issue is with the phil. negative perception issue and not to wish anything untoward our neighbors.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

Whilst it is clear from reports and available statistics that there is a greater level of reported "gun homicide" in Thailand compared to Philippines, the reported rate of 0.2 per 100,000 is inconceivable.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

vetus, that would make the rate of 0.2, less than the UK and most of europe, I agree doesnt make sense

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: More Dangerous- Philippines v. Thailand?

I suspect like me, you have been digging into the statistics?