We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

We've just booked to go to the Philippines for 1 week in early May. We're flying in & out of Manilla.

It's our first time to go and we're looking for relaxing beach destinations with a bit of culture.

Where would people recommend?? We're happy to take internal domestic flights if needed given our short time.

Thanks! :)

Edited: 30 March 2013, 11:46
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

Panglao Island, Alona Beach.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

On second thoughts, Siquijor Island may suit you as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
2,080 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

Siquijor.

Fly from Manila NAIA with either PALExpress (recommended: flypalexpress.com/uploads/pdf/FLIGHTSCHEDULE… ) or Cebu Pacific:

www.cebupacificair.com

I recommend a night in Manila after your long flight ex London, then get an early morning flight to Dumaguete. www.asiatravel.com has some good choices in the business district of Makati, including its new 4 star 'Crazy Rate' mystery hotel, available for about GBP80 per night including brekkie. It's the Somerset Millenium. Ask the taxi driver to take the P20 extra cost (minimal!) Skyway to get to Makati quicker; say 'meter po' when you neter the taxi, rolling your 'rrrr's so that he turns the meter on.

This website has ferry timings from Dumaguete to Siquijor:

http://www.cocogrovebeachresort.com/

Coco Griove is beautiful: I have been there twice.

Have a buffer of a day (i.e. night) in manila on your return.

Edited: 30 March 2013, 12:46
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

I would also agree with the above suggestions, either Alona Beach ,Bohol with its great beaches and many things to see and do in the interior, would keep you busy for 5 days.

Alternatively, Siquijor with its quiet relaxed pace , beautiful beaches and that laid back feeling it is known for, would suit your requirements.

Angeles City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

As your trip is for one week only..I would go for Puerto Galera region...You can get a bus from Manila to Batangas port...Then a ferry to Puerto Galera..the whole trip will take about 6 to 8 hours.

Once there... there are many beaches to choose from.If you want a lively place then Sabang beach is for you.If you like a large white beach with very little entertainment then go to" White Beach"...I've lived in the P.I. for many years and can recommend the most beautiful beaches that would put Borocay to shame...The problem is.. there is a lot of traveling involved...I travelled to one by motorbike at the very top of Northern Luzon ..the most wonderful beach I have ever seen.2 people there..an Aussie and myself.

Edited: 31 March 2013, 04:07
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,208 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

Here are 3 of my favourite islands.

Biliran Island (yellow sand beaches). It has

- Hot springs

- Cold springs

- Waterfalls

- Volcanos although I have not heard of any trekking to the volcanos

- Caves used by the Japanese during the second world war

- Diving/snorkelling

- A cemetery where you can see human skulls and bones

- Mini rice terraces and rice paddies. There is a high chance of seeing Carabao pulling a plough

Biliran is a bit over an hour flight from Manila to Tacloban then about 2 hours ride in a private van to the island. Biliran Island is joined to the Island of Leyte by a bridge.

My favourite accommodation is

http://agtabeach.com/

Camiguin (black sand beaches with a huge, white sand, sand bar called White Island) It has

- Hot springs

- Cold springs

- historical sights/sites

- A sunken cemetery

- Volcano trekking

- Waterfalls

- Diving/snorkelling

- Rice paddies. There is a high chance of seeing Carabao pulling a plough

Fly from Manila to Cagayan De Oro in a bit over an hour. Then catch the fast ferry if the schedule suits. Otherwise, catch a taxi to Balingoan, this will take about 90 minutes then get on the next boat to Camiguin. Boats depart about every hour. The boat trip from memory takes about 40 minutes.

My favourite accommodation

http://secretcovecamiguin.net

Bohol and Panglao island (White sand beaches). Bohol has

- Diving/snorkelling

- the Chocolate Hills

- whale and dolphin watching

- tarsier sanctuaries

- butterfly sanctuaries

- wild life sanctuaries

- fire fly tours

- adventure tours including zip lining

- historical sites dating back to 1565

- several waterfalls

- swimming underground in the Hinagdanan cave

- lunch tours on the Loboc river

- hanging bamboo bridges over the Loboc river

- the Bohol Bee Farm where you can see mats, clothes and knick knacks being made then eat a meal with edible flowers and honey.

- Rice paddies. There is a high chance of seeing Carabao pulling a plough

You can fly from Manila to Tagbilaran in a bit over an hour. Then if you want to be on Panglao Island, it is a bit over 30 minutes to Alona Beach by private van.

My favourite accommodation (not a beach resort but it is by the sea)

http://boholtropics.com/

7. Re: Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 June 2013, 19:35
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
2,080 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

scottylass_13, could you please formally review (say) Tangkaan Beach at Padre Burgos and any accommodation at which you stayed? Go to 'write a review' on the TA home page.

Padre Burgos Castle Resort is excellent accommodation. It is reviewed on TA and has a website.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,749 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

Whilst Puerto Galera is pleasant enough and easy access from Manila its definitely not the best on offer.

The above suggestions of Siquijor, and Bohol would also be my pick. You could actually do both as they are only a short ferry ride away from each other.

Tommo

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple wanting relaxing 1 week beach holiday in Philippines

Thanks guys,

This is all very helpful and much appreciated! Looks like Siquijor and Bohol are most highly recommended. Just wondering if its worth going to Boracay/Palawan? And ideally we'd like to explore 2 islands in 1 week so which 2 would be logistically best to do but also with the best, sandiest, most swimmable beachs?!

Thanks v much :)