We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Topic
Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

Philippine Airlines (PAL) announced earlier (April 26, 2013) the launching of 12 new destinations in Australia, China, Malaysia and Middle East, including a new domestic service to Northern Luzon in the continuing expansion of PAL’s route network.

In a kick-off ceremony at Diamond Hotel, Ang unveiled the 12 new destinations – Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), May 2; Darwin, Brisbane and Perth (Australia), June 1; Guangzhou (China), June 2; Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates), October 1; Doha (Qatar) November 1; Riyadh, Jeddah and Dammam (Saudi Arabia), December 1; Dubai (United Arab Emirates), November 1 and Basco, Batanes on May 1 (the last two to be operated by PAL Express).

Ang said PAL’s route expansion, particularly in the Middle East, will open strategic gateways and allow greater connectivity to more destinations in the region through PAL’s interline partners. “From UAE, for example, overseas Filipino workers can easily connect to other key cities or countries through PAL’s airline partners in the Gulf,” Ang stressed.

With the opening of its Middle East gateways, PAL would become the only Philippine carrier with the widest footprint in the region, he said.

Ang added that the Philippines’ robust economy, recent credit rating upgrade, exciting tourist destinations and the country’s geographical advantage as a jump off point to many Asian cities are also behind PAL’s aggressive expansion.

With the wider route network, Ang said foreign tourists and business travelers can fly to Manila, enjoy the Philippines for a few days, or connect directly to PAL’s other Asian, Australian and North American destinations.

In November last year, PAL’s new management began the network expansion with the launch of non-stop flights to Toronto, Canada.

PAL’s current network, operated with PAL Express, consists of 32 domestic and 28 international points.

outoftownblog.com/philippine-airlines-revs-u…

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

Excellent news! I'm pleased that there appears to be a bold plan for PAL's future.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,846 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

There are more aircraft that will be delivered to PAL soon so expect more destinations to come.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
1,974 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

A limiting factor thus far is that with the continuing ban on Filipino airlines flying to Europe, PR (PAL) cannot offer connections to or from Europe.

This is a big market ex Australia (and to a much lesser degree New Zealand). We have the long established 'Kangaroo Route' via Singapore (which QANTAS has just abandoned), the alternative of flying via Hong Kong, Bangkok, Los Angeles (Air NZ offers LAX), Bandar Seri Begawan, Dubai (QANTAS' new route but still less popular than Singapore Changi), Abu Dhabi, Doha, Shanghai or what China Southern Airlines is promoting as the 'Canton route' via Ghangzhou, albeit that Australians still apparently perceive China Southern to have elderly aircraft and largely non-English speaking hostesses and stewards.

Manila used to be a reasonably popular Australia - Europe transit point in the 1970s so I am informed but the lack of 'though' carrier flights (such as MEL - MNL - LHR or SYD - MNL - AMS) means that anyone using Manila must switch carriers either there or somewhere else such as Dubai.

Obviously restarting UK or European flights has to be considered viable before it can occur (assuming Filipino airlines get over the regulatory hurdle above), perhaps difficult in the current poor economic climate afflicting UK and Europe, but let's hope that PR at some stage does this.

PR has separately previously announced an intention to fly to both istanbul and Moscow.

Edited: 26 April 2013, 10:54
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
1,974 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

It should be 'Guangzhou' above. No wonder some of us prefer to call it by the previous British name of 'Canton.'

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,258 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

Any news on additional USA routes?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
1,974 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

Philippine Airlines is unable to change its aircraft on each flight or introduce new flights or routes to USA until the Federal Aviation Administration rescinds its ban.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
1,974 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

I do not normally slavishly post media releases but given that Batanes is one destination that TA member kegler747 wants to tarvel to, here is a brief media release of yesterday:

…philippineairlines.com/news-and-events/…

keg, there's a special seat - 2A - reserved for you. You may however baulk at the price most days.

Edited: 01 May 2013, 12:59
Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

Keg has gone to Batanes na di ba?

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,846 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

I would love to go back to Batanes. It has landscapes that I thought I can only see on TV and never thought that we have them here in the Philippines. If airfare would be less than 5k pesos roundtrip it would be definitely my favorite province so Camiguin would have to take a backseat.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,662 posts
1,576 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Philippine Airlines launching 12 new routes

If I can find a fare at that price I will go too. Ive been looking also but its not cheap.

Tommo