We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,135 reviews
Save Topic
Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

More positive news from a travel comparison website about Philippines:

http://www.skyscanner.com.au/

I do not know what percentage of enquiries convert into bookings, but if it is one per cent then it may still be quite a few who travel to the land of 7107 islands for the first time.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

Great to see the Philippines gaining popularity in Australia. Though I believe it's a random list, you wouldn't expect the Philippines to be mentioned in the list say 5 years ago.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

bryantpark88, I agree.

The full article from the website explains that compared to a year ago, searches by Australians of 'Philippines' (presumably for flight bookings) are up an astounding 200 per cent:

skyscanner.com.au/news/aussies-pack-their-wi…

I do not know from what base figure this is. I also lack knowledge as to whether www.skyscanner.com.au is stealing market share from other online travel enquiry and booking sites, but Internet monitoring site www.alexa.com states that the Skyscanner website is the 496th most popular in Australia and that the number of searches made of it are rising.

200 per cent as an increase is a lot, though. Hard to fathom why: a sudden burst of publicity from the Survivor television show? Publicity in travel media? This may all have occurred, but a 200 per cent increase in enquiries?

Edited: 13 May 2013, 12:57
3. Re: Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 May 2013, 13:35
Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

Who knows VL, Philippines might be the new Bali for Australians. ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

Sole2soul, very funny.

One reason why I cannot see Philippines ever being as popular to visit as Bali is not just that it is about 2.5 hours greater flying time from the Oz east coast state capitals of Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane with their combined population including Gold and Sunshine Coasts, Newcastle, Wollongong, Albury and Wagga of about 13 million, but more importantly the lack of direct flights from these Australian cities to the beaches.

There are no direct flights from anywhere in Australia to Kalibo (where larger planes can land, 60 kilometres from Boracay). There are no direct Oz to Mactan island Airport (Cebu) flights for the resorts and easy transfers to Dumaguete, Siquijor and even Bantayan, Malapascua and Moalboal.

Getting to a wonderful Filipino beach requires some effort on the part of travellers ex Australia who must typically transfer flights in Manila (and for good reason stay the night of arrival in Manila in most cases to ensure that one does not miss a same day connection).

Contrast this with South Koreans or Hong Kong residents who can travel directly to Cebu for instance by air. Similarly, some Australian city residents can fly direct to Phuket.

More and more Australians will discover Philippines, continuing the almost continuous upsurge of the last 12 or so years (and good on them) but they will not be able to fly direct to the beach resorts until numbers substantially build. Even then, the beaches would be very seasonal in their attractiveness - mid December to early June being the approximate peak time, although those of us who have been many times know that July or September can be delightful in Mindanao or the central Visayas (but there are no guarantees of this).

Edited: 14 May 2013, 10:39
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

I agree VL,

It is far easier to come to the Phils from Korea, Japan, Hongkong and Taiwan as compared to Australia. One of the reasons for the larger number of tourists from Korea.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

YLOO, one of the amazing 'success stories' in Philippines' tourism has been how there has been an explosion in the number of Koreans studying English in Cebu City. I observed one hotel with rooms set aside for English lessons: the students stayed there.

I assume that since Cebu City is smaller than Manila (and the rents probably cheaper) it is an ideal location to fly to, combining an hotel stay with tuition then if there is time a visit to a Mactan Island resort prior to flying home. Nonetheless at times the traffic between Mactan's airport and the Cebu City 'old CBD', Ayala Center, SM City Cebu, Mandaue or Lahug can be challenging.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

You are right, VL. Cebu and Dumaguete.

Their presence was conspicuous in every dive trip we did there. We even have more Korean students here on sessions road Baguio than earlier. In my opinion, they have a more favourable influence on tourism than the earlier flood of sexpats.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

YLOO, on my two visits to Siquijor island I have not noticed Korean students present.

Yet there has been a smattering of Australians, a few North Americans and many Europeans along with a few from the UK.

Do the Koreans studying in Dumaguete have little spare time or no spare budget, or do they not want to travel by boat for 85 minutes to get from Dumaguete's port to the magical mystery (white sand beaches, lovely Catholic churches, serene forests and mysterious faith healers) of beautiful Siquijor Island?

Edited: 25 May 2013, 04:00
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Philippines a popular search on www.skyscanner.com.au

@ VL

I meant I am seeing even more Korean students in Cebu (as always - especially during trips to Nalusuan and Bohol), Dumaguete (which anyway was a student city) and now n Baguio.

In Siquijor, my observation was ditto same as you - and I was pleasantly happy ... so few tourists, such reasonable costs, such good facilities and such good people.