We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to visit in June?

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to visit in June?

Hello,

We will be in the Philippenes from June 7th- 28. My problem is: There are too many places I want visit and not enough time!

So far we are thinking:

June 7th-18th Puerto Princessa, El Nido and Coron.

June 19th -23rd I would like to be near Bagiuo since we are attending a wedding on the 22nd.

June 23rd- 28th Boracay or Cebu/Bohol or Rice Paddies.

Just a question, would Palawan be ok to visit in June? I heard this season started late which is why we started with Palawan instead of Boracay.

ALso if anyone could give suggestions for the Bagui area, I would be greatly appreciative.

Our last week there is still up in the air, I listed our suggestions.

We would welcome any suggestions in terms of hotels ($60 a night or less), attractions and restaurants.

Many Thanks in advance!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to visit in June?

"June 7th-18th Puerto Princessa, El Nido and Coron."

This is ok. Now there are flights between PP and Coron so make use of it.

"June 23rd- 28th Boracay or Cebu/Bohol or Rice Paddies."

I would suggest you to choose Boracay or Cebu/Bohol being June is the beginning of the wet season. If you get stuck in Banaue because of a landslide, it may take a few days to clear the road.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,730 posts
1,971 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to visit in June?

PAL Express' flights 2P027 and 2P028 commence on 3 June 201`3, departing Busuanga at 1230 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays with the Puerto Princesa departure at 1355 on the same days after a quick (and minimum achievable) 20 minute layover at PP.

Please support these flights: while they do not solve the problem of how to travel between Coron town and El Nido quickly, they are still useful. See flypalexpress.com/uploads/pdf/DFS05172013.pdf

Edited: 22 May 2013, 09:45
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,418 posts
1,558 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to visit in June?

Restaurant wise I would say a must is Kalui Restaurant in PP. Book via email as they have been fully booked each time I have visited.

And Altrove in El Nido where you will get the best wood fired pizzas ever. Expect to line up unless you arrive early or late. Dont fret as where the line starts there is a sari sari store where you can enjoy a drink whilst waiting...my drink of choice is SML ;-)))..of course

Tommo

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to visit in June?

Hi,

Having just returned from Palawan, here are some suggestions / lessons learnt....

EL NIDO TIPS -

1) Take a lot of cash with you - El Nido has no ATM machines and costs here are usually twice of what they are in any other city in Philippines (Yep - that includes Manila and Boracay). The closest ATM machine is a few hours drive away.

2) Keep a lot of time in El Nido - the island hopping for some reason is exhausting rather than refreshing.

3) El Nido has limited electricity - try going for a resort / hotel with a generator or solar power. Book for just 1-2 days so that you have the option of shifting to a better resort if you don't like the first one.

4) The inward / garden facing rooms in resorts are better than beach facing ones.

5) Food - in El Nido is pricey, lots of French and continental cuisine, very little Asian / Filipino cuisine

6) Travel between El Nido - Puerto Princessa - Coron ... keep a full day for any travel leg - frequency is among the worst in Philippines (the buses and jeepneys in provinces of the rest of Phils seem like paradise). Prepare for this so that you don't get affected by it.

7) Travel light. You can pick up necessities on the way - El Nido has lots of shops for necessities.

8) My suggestions for hotels - Taiyo and Hippocampe are excellent. Lally and Abet where we stayed for 2 nights ... - beach facing cottages are lousy, unfortunately the garden facing rooms have no air con and are very very stuffy. I felt Calaan is best if you wish to relax. Travel to / fro town is not difficult.

9) DO bring a rechargeable flash light - you will need it in El Nido

I'll put another post for Baguio (I assume you meant Baguio when you wrote Bagui ... right?)

Edited: 23 May 2013, 09:53
Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to visit in June?

Hello All,

Thanks for all of your replys.

Mousehunt- Thank you for the information about landslides. My boyfriend isn't too interested in Rice Paddies, I was just thinking of staying on the mainland until we leave. I had put Cebu/Donsol on the back burner becuase I was told Whale shark swimming ended in May but I am now seeing it sparingly carries on in June. I have also heard there is great snorkling around near Cebu, much better than Boracay, do you know if this is true?We were thinking Boracay and Cebu for the first 11 days, but decided to hit Palawan since we had more places we wanted to see on the island.

Victorialand: We will be using PAL to fly into and out of Palawan. I am just concerned if our 4 PM arrival in Manila will work with the 6:40 PM Departure to PP.

Tommo: A gracious thanks for your restaurant suggestions.

YouOnly LiveOnce: We were aware of point 1, 3 and 6. Since I am also from an archipelago (Bahamas), I can relate to the higher prices in the "out islands". However, point 5 is very valuable. I think my boyfriend will be happier about having more Italian choices. I will budget more with this in mind.

It is interesting though, we are debating cancelling Coron so we have time to relax in El Nido. Our 8 year anniversairy falls while we are in El Nido so we are gonna have a a couple if high end hotel nights for the occassion. Now we debate if it will be Coron or Cebu or Boracay for our last 4 days (arriving sunday and leaving Thursday)

I was talking about Baguio. I am looking forward to any feedback you have about this area.

Agian, Many thanks for your replies.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to visit in June?

@ Be Slim,

Regarding Baguio, it is very very (ummmm... add another very) different from the island places usually visited by most tourists, simply because it is a Filipino tourist spot. Nearly every Filipino has visited it (or plans / wishes to visit it), but very few foreigners venture here.

So you end up seeing excellent value for money, no rip offs, very honest people (among the most honest cab drivers in Phils), a vibrant student population (it IS a student city filled with educational establishments) and a very strong "proud to be local" attitude.

It is,very tourist friendly.

Baguio stays cool throughout the year (no need of air con), and is the summer capital of Phils. Lots of pine trees and places to walk around. It is also one of the few tourist spots where we easily get to see real local culture (I mean culture that predates the Spanish conquest by 1 to 2000 years)

It is best to stay at a place away from Burnham lake - as those places tend to be a bit crowded (Do note - Baguio has few tourists during the week - but on weekends it tends to get filled with Manila dwellers).

Here are my favourite places to see - the TA reviews give you more details -

- Camp John Hay (I would give 2 days just to saunter here) - including the camping grounds, the historical core (Bell house, amphitheater and cemetery of negativism), the butterfly garden and the treks in / near it. Read more here - http://www.campjohnhay.ph/

- Wright park and The Mansion

- Mines view - not for the view, but for the photo taking with traditional Ifugao people and shoppign for souvenirs

- Tam awan village and Ben Cab museum (a full day to both together) - for native culture and a beautiful art museum with a fantastic view of the valley

- Teachers camp - just to walk around the vast gardens

- Burnham lake - is very beautiful, despite people (every evening, Baguio residents come here to relax. On Sundays, they come here with their families :)

- Don't miss visiting the Orchidarium if you like plants

- Time permitting, go plucking strawberries at La Trinidad

Places to eat -

Sessions road is FILLED with the most diverse places to eat. For quieter eating, I would choose The Manor, and the eateries in the quieter lanes around Burnham park (Should not be an issue - there are eateries). The fruits and veggies are fresh and cheap.

SM has a BIG food court, if you are looking for staple food.

Places to stay -

Tip : Stay away from sessions road - it is noisy all through the day.

My personal favourites are ....

- The Manor : is an excellent (though expensive, but worth every peso) place to stay, right in the midst of woods

- Le Monet (a new big hotel near filling station - off Camp John Hay) is also very well located in the midst of greenery

- Heritage mansion (if you wish to be centrally located, this is THE place) - it is a heritage building converted into a cosy hotel.

- Hotel Elizabeth - is good and located on the other side of Baguio.

- Safari lodge - is quiet and popular with young Manila dwellers. More like a log cabin.

- Forest house B&B - has an old world small place charm, yet is a 10 minute walk from sessions road

Taxis are affordable and are the common method of transport.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to visit in June?

Hi BeSlim,

For Whale Shark, I suggest you go to Southern Leyte. Though it is considered off season, but I believe the chances of seeing whale shark there is higher.

The spotting of whale shark has decreased over the last 2 years in Donsol.

Having said that, there is never a guarantee to see the wild animals. So it is still depends on luck.

For snorkeling, I would suggest you can do to at Balicasag Island. The snorkel there seems quite good which is not what I have experience. Maybe I went to the wrong site.

As for Rice Paddies, even going to Banaue is still a risk as the road up Banaue is a hilly one. If your trip to Banaue is at the beginning to June, I will still take my chances.

As for Coron, I would advice you to proceed. Spend your days between Coron and El Nido and use PP as a jump off point. You do not really need to spend more than a night in PP.

I have not been to El Nido but Coron island hopping is nice though expensive.

8. Re: Best places to visit in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:17