We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving in the philippines

sydney
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
driving in the philippines

Tips and hints need for driving in the Philippines.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: driving in the philippines

I would have to agree with Clare,

I think the accusation that "you are robbing the locals of jobs" is absolutely ridiculous and insulting.

I ride a motorcycle every trip to the Philippines, granted this is not driving a car, but it always amazes me that several regulars on the forum try to imply it is not a good idea, even if they have never ridden a motorcycle themselves. Bikes are a very sensible solution to travel in many developing countries, just look around you and see how many people use them.

To suggest something is a bad idea, should be made clear that it may be a bad idea for the individual making the comment not for everyone else in the world

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: driving in the philippines

Clare and Phoenix

I respect your opinion, but I do feel that there are some perks of visiting a third world developing country that tourists should enjoy.

Being driven, is a prerogative of the super rich abroad. In developing countries (like Phils) it is far more common - hence something tourists should enjoy.

Riding a bike is different, as there is more personal joy in it (for many people), but even there,, since roads (and at some places the lack of roads) in Phils are far different from places like say USA, I do not recommend it.

I know that many foreigners like to ride bikes in Phils.

As for driving, all my well off friends (Filipinos mostly and a few foreigners) have a driver. As for me, I am still saving money - once well off, I too will keep one. :)

And I use taxis and rental cars with drivers as much as possible till then.

I stand by what I had mentioned

PS -

The statistics come from DOLE and OFW departments - but it is common knowledge anyway.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: driving in the philippines

yloo - don't see how point 3 has any relevance -most Filipinos working abroad would be working to send money home to family -so owning a car/driving wouldn't be so important ,ie they are not on holiday /tourist .

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: driving in the philippines

we drive in the Philippines, ahhh, drove, its stupid to drive here. I can not even begin to tell you all the hassles, especially when my big WHITE hubby is in the front seat. Quit the idea. We stick to the back seat now...ahhh.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: driving in the philippines

I personally dont enjoy being driven by anybody, I dont care who they are. And by choosing not to use a driver does not mean I am robbing anybody of a job.

I could suggest by not renting a car and driving yourself, you are robbing rental car company jobs, would be just as ridiculous.

I understand why it is not a good idea to drive yourself in the Philippines, but robbing jobs is a just plain ridiculous idea.

Maybe I should travel without my wife, because that would be robbing local Filipina hookers of a job right?

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: driving in the philippines

@ Clare

Most drivers in the Phils have at some time worked abroad (mostly in the middle east) - Anyways I have always found the quality of drivers to be excellent. It is more fun to watch the countryside from the back seat (as left over said - though I am not sure if Leftover was quipping / pulling my leg or serious :)

Drive and enjoy the countryside and there is a good chance that you will miss a trike who has decided to suddenly swerve (had this experience umpteen times when riding buses!)

Hence I always recommend enjoying buses (excellent in the Phils is most places) or driver driven cars to tourists.

@ Phoenix,Okay - I may have stretched the part about jobs a bit - but it is something I believe. And let us not even get started on hookers - let us not tell tourists about that part of Phils...

By the way, don't forget, you both are seasoned visitors to Phils - unlike most tourists who have not driven in Asia - and by Asia I am not referring to orderly Japan / Korea / Singapore, but rather the chaotic traffic of China and India. (Phils is better than the latter and of course, worse than the former)

17. Re: driving in the philippines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 06:18