We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel blogs about the Philippines

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
436 reviews
Save Topic
Travel blogs about the Philippines

I've been coming across some really great travel blogs from visitors to the Philippines in the past. Blogs that are not only heartwarming but likewise provide a dearth of information from actual experiences and are effective promotional tools. And not only from foreign visitors, but from local travel bloggers as well. A lot have already been mentioned here in the past such as:

alexinwanderland.com/2013/…

justonewayticket.com/2012/… (posted in the faq's)

…wordpress.com/category/philippines/

contemporarynomad.com/2010/…

mithunonthe.net/category/travel/philippines/

www.akrosdayunibers.com/philippines.html

http://www.lakas.com.ph/

http://www.lakwatsera.com

Just to name a few. Then there are some fairly recent and good ones. I really liked this one:

20yearshence.com/everything-you-ever-wanted-…

Can we create a section in the FAQ's for travel blogs? Perhaps others can also suggest some really good blogs to add to the list as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
2,000 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel blogs about the Philippines

The 20yearshence blog is very well written, although the couple visited 'Negros' not 'Negroes' as they assert!

They will have some Filipinos disputing the blog's claim that the food was 'ordinary' and 'monotonous', but their description of Philippines as very safe is objectively true. They also talk of how strong Philippines' 'pull' on them as visitors who had originally not intended to visit the land of 7107 islands. They wouldn't be alone in experiencing the warmth and hospitality of many Filipinos.

TA member tommomelbourne, please place this post in TA's Top Questions under 'travel blogs' as bryantpark88 requests.

Edited: 07 June 2013, 12:03
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,376 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel blogs about the Philippines

Done before you posted :-)

Tommo

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel blogs about the Philippines

Great...thanks! It's funny how a lot of them just ended up in the Philippines on a whim, without knowing anything about the country, and ending up loving it. What I appreciate about these bloggers is how they are able to promote the by providing very relevant information and actually end up convincing quite a few of their followers to actually visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
2,000 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel blogs about the Philippines

Apart from the country's huge success in overtaking India as the call centre capital of the world (but not yet the business process outsourcing - non-voice - leading centre) and hence attracting businessmen and women, the other reason that visitation is increasing from foreigners is twofold.

One is that despite South Korea being in a recession or close to it, Philippines is an attractive tropical destination 3.5 hours flying time away where as a bonus it's cheap and (for younger Koreans) one can learn English at non rip-off rates (especially in Cebu City).

The other has to be word of mouth among independent travellers (specifically Westerners and some Asians such as Singaporeans). Although the mainstream media is devoting a bit more space to positive Filipino travel stories, this pales in comparison with these travel blogs and sites such as www.lonelyplanet.com and TA where many travellers come to realise that Philippines might actually be a great - not perfect - place to visit.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel blogs about the Philippines

yes, there are also a great deal of travel related information from various expat blogs that ive been steadily following for years...maybe we can include them as well..

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,305 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel blogs about the Philippines

All are great travel blogs and I can easily spend 3 hours just reading their well-written posts.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel blogs about the Philippines

in fairness to the philippines, or its food as viewed by the bloggers of 20 years hence, said bloggers were just in China and found themselves very disappointed by the food there as well...

Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel blogs about the Philippines

I am really really looking forward to the philippines. The Diving, the beaches, the people..

.. I'm going in Feb 2014 www.adventure-backpacking.com

If anyone has any thoughts or would even wish to join me then please get in touch!

Much Love

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel blogs about the Philippines

Sam,

Interesting. Curious to see how it goes. Just let us know if you need help. Tons of tips for you around. Pm me if you need info. I really feel that at this stage of our tourism that Backpackers should be the target market and the rest are just bonuses. The Philippines is a backpackers market and when I say backpackers I meant the original concept of backpacking. Backpackers nowadays have evolved to flashpackers. Gone are the days of the real deal. They are getting fewer by the day. You seem to be one of them. You will see less tourists here than you will ever see in the other areas. If you like that kind of traveling, the Philippines would be haven for you.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,927 posts
2,000 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel blogs about the Philippines

Sam, quite a few us are here to help like sole2soultravel. If you occasionally want to 'flshpack', there are numerous pension houses around. If you find ones that are not listed on TA (and perhaps not on the Internet, full stop) please send me a TA private message so I can ask TA staff to consider adding the establishment to the ever growing database TA has for Philippines. The fuller the address, the more chance of it being listed if I ask.

Please then in time formally review it, or indeed any attractions or restaurants you see or patronise.

Have a great trip: it must be like 'slow food' cooking: it won't be at a hectic pace.

You can obtain visa extensions at Immigration offices in Filipino cities: this may be easy than doing a visa run. Visa waiver is 30 days now for most foreigners, up from the previous 21. It should be 90 days like Japan and South Korea but sadly is not. 90 days would encourage a lot more tourism.

The best moneychangers are Edzen and Sheena in A. Mabini Street, Ermita (Manila Bay area, walking distance from Robinsons Place shopping centre near Pedro Gil LRT railway station).

Your blog is excellent. Many of us may read it ocne you hit Philippines.

Edited: 13 December 2013, 07:49