We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,540 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

Some observations

- I still have not been to Banatayan Island. This trip, I found myself drinking cocktails at Maldito Bar on Logon Beach with a lady from Bantayan Island and her American husband. The American man was telling me..there is nothing like this on Bantayan and he would rather be on Malapascua than Bantayan. So I said there is no need to go to Banatayan then. The lady from Banatayan said there are nice beaches. So, I still see no incentive for me to go to Bantayan but if you like nice beaches, I suppose you can do both.

- In Cebu City, I asked around to see if there is a V-hire to Maya, the jump off point to Malapascua but I was told no V-Hire. So, being kuripot (cheap), I went to the north bus terminal and found the V-Hire to Maya by accident. I only wanted to go to Daan banatayan first and stay at Skips beach resort. So, when I saw a V-Hire behind a Daan Bantayan sign, I got in. They told us P170 to Daan Bantayan and P180 to Maya. On board they said yes, we travel to Maya. However, there is no indication otherwise. So, if you want a V-Hire to Maya, go to the North Bus Terminal and look for the Daan Bantayan sign.

- No one can tell you how long a trip to Maya will take. Our driver got to Daanbantayan in 2.5 hours, travelling at speeds of up to 120kph (about 75mph) But then stopped 7 times in Daan Bantayan, adding more than 30 minutes to the trip. If they didn't do that, they would have been in Maya in less than 3 hours. I do not mean that the driver travelled at 120kph all the time. What he did was drive as fast as could all the time which sometimes meant crawling along at walking pace. The driver told me he can do North Bus Terminal to Maya in 2 hours in no traffic. I presume he meant late night/early morning because there is always slow moving traffic in the day time heading to Maya.

- If it is high tide, you can board the boats directly. If it is low tide at either end you still have to get a little "dinghy" to take you to the big boat. Coming back from Malapascua was low tide. The cost of the little "dinghy" to the big boat was P20 on Malapascua, paid directly to the boat man. In Maya, the big boat stopped well out from the pier and let off about 8 passengers. What they paid for their boat ride into the pier, I have no idea. They then tried to get the big boat into shore but got stuck about 20 metres away from the rocks at the base of the pier. So a little boat came to help. Because we were so close, I heard several Filipinos saying P5 lang. But the boat man was unmoved and collected P10 from every one..

- There is a booth at Maya. It is not very obvious. Just a small cement booth which does not indicate any prices or the fact it is collecting for the trip to Maya. However, they issued tickets to every one who handed over their money. I was watching what all the Filipinos were paying and paid the same. The price to Malapascua is P80. I heard several times over that a private trip is P1200. For the boat. Not per person.

- They have bigger out rigger boats for the trip from Maya to Malapascu than last time I travelled via Maya. They boats used to only catrry 15 passengers. Now they seemed to be all 30 or more. The trip that used to take up to 40 minutes now takes about 30 minutes. They also have flushable toilets. But the toilet had very little privacy and you flush the toilet with a bucket of water. I presume the crew live on them as well as the boats I travelled on had primitive cooking facilities and a cupboard with plates and utensils.

- There is still no pier on Malapascua and no indication of any pier being built. The boats land on Logon Beach. Which is the location of the township of Logon.

- Gong Gings is still the cheapest place to eat on the island. It costs me P65 for a plate of noodles with chicken and vegetables. Lots of other dishes were similarly priced. A litre of coke was P50. A Pina Colada cocktail was only P65 compared to P125 at the Maldito Bar.Ging Gings still offer rooms for P500 per night.

- We were told that last boat was 2pm but found out what they really mean is they start selling tickets for the last baot at 2 pm then it departs when it is full at about 2.30pm or 3pm.The ticket booth is under a shelter on the beach at the edge of the town ship. That is, if you are walking along the road from Bounty Beach to the township, you come to a T intersection. Turn right and you will be in the township proper. Turn left and you will walk down a narrow lane way to the beach. The ticket booth is on the right as you hit the beach. If you miss the last public boat, you can still get a private trip, any time.

- I was with people carrying Smart. I still had my trusty Globe Phone. The Smart users had no signal. I had full signal. That is because Globe has a cell phone tower on the island. It used to be diesel powered in the past, and may still have diesel back up but I noticed when I walked past that it is now solar powered.

- In the V-hire on the way back to Cebu City, the driver was asking where every one wanted to get off. We said North Bus Terminal, thinking that is the end of the line. However, a few others said SM and to my way of thinking, SM was a much better option. So we changed to SM. They dropped off right at the head of one of the taxi ranks at SM Mall.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
2,061 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

Big_Jim_Cebu, could you please formally review Ging Gings for TA?: Very interesting report, particularly the V/Hire which I did not know operated to Maya. My suggestion is to always get the front row next to the driver. Every other row leaves one's legs feeling numb.

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g221309…

I will see if the bar to which you refer is listed and ask TA to include it on the database should it not yet be.

Edited: 06 September 2013, 10:13
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,726 posts
1,719 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

Thanks Big Jim as this report is of interest to me as I will be visiting later this year.

@Victorianlad.. Kokays Malditos Dive Resort and their Resto still isnt listed on TA. The resto has a decent menu and I have read good reports about the bar as well on other blogs.

http://kokaysmalditodiveresort.com/

Tommo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

Tommo,

I believe the Malapascua that you will see will be slightly different from mine after Yolanda.

Based on FB page by various dive centers, Bounty beach look as good as last time.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,726 posts
1,719 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

MH I have booked to stay at Bounty Beach.

I asked to have Kokays Malditos Dive Resort listed and it just came through tonight. If anyone has stayed here please post a review.

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g659555…

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,726 posts
1,719 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

BTW I noticed the above link refers to the Restaurant. The Resort itself has yet to be listed.

Tommo

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

Thank you letting us know about the V-hire option. Four hours on a bus that keeps stopping every few minutes is harrowing so I'll try this option at the North Bus terminal next month. Can you recommend a resort that offers cheap airconditioned rooms?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,726 posts
1,719 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

What do you call cheap?

BTW you can filter the TA listed hotels by price which may be an easier search option .

Tommo

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,540 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

Can you recommend a resort that offers cheap airconditioned rooms?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

No

For 2 reasons.

- Malapascua is isolated and everything you need has to be brought with you. 24 hour electricity is a new phenomenon for Malapascua. Electricity has to be generated on the island and is expensive. So obviously an aircon room will be expensive.

- Living in the city where you go from aircon hotel to aircon taxi to aircon mall to aircon bar to aircon disco, it can make sense to have aircon. I am not sure aircon is a good idea on Malapascua where the only aircon will be in your room. Much better t have a fan. At night, have the fan blowing directly on you.

However, if you want to choose a resort with aircon, I believe this website lists all accommodation

malapascua.de/Logon11__Lodging/logon11__lodg…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
2,061 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

While Kokay's Maldito as per tommomelbourne's posting above is now listed on TA for both its accommodation and its restaurant, the accommodation is not shown as being on Malapascua Island.

Through the TA help page, I have asked TA staff to correct this. Such changes usually take a few weeks as there is a backlog.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5th trip to Malapascua September 2013

Try Hiltey's Hideout Homes.

Aircon is considered as a add-on.