We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No need to print air tickets anymore?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Topic
No need to print air tickets anymore?

abs-cbnnews.com/business/09/11/13/no-need-pr…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No need to print air tickets anymore?

cool, thanks for that info

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,710 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No need to print air tickets anymore?

I think it is still wise to have a hard copy of your ticket because the battery life of your i-Phone or tablet is not that reliable specially if you travel long hours.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,722 posts
2,114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No need to print air tickets anymore?

I agree with Keg. I will always have a hard copy as a backup.

Tommo

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No need to print air tickets anymore?

you need hard copy to show the guards in the Philippines just to be safe as not all got the memo i bet.

Mentioned in this post
Al Jubail, Saudi...
Level Contributor
4 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No need to print air tickets anymore?

Cool thanks for the information. But in the Philippines still you need your hard copy specially with the gurda at the airport otherwise they won't let you get in to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No need to print air tickets anymore?

I'll bet the airlines didn't get the memo either - they always insist on a hard copy of a ticket for onward ticket purposes when checking in for a flight to the Philippines.

We will be flying back in next Thursday, so will test this out!

Mentioned in this post
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,710 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No need to print air tickets anymore?

This is just a new memo, let's give them time to fully understand what this is all about and implement it.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No need to print air tickets anymore?

I Lost my eticket about 2 months ago, and took out a piece of paper and wrote all the info down off the internet (no printer) day of departure. No one stopped us, except guards gave it a second look.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,157 posts
625 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No need to print air tickets anymore?

The check in counter just needs your booking reference number or your ticket number, an ID, and the credit card. Guards just want to see if your flight is for that day and for that time. There was one time i showed the guard my ticket, and the guard told me my flight was yesterday. Dumbdumb me!

Edited: 13 September 2013, 17:46
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No need to print air tickets anymore?

al22tec, most times you don't even need that. For every flight we have we just handed over our passports and never any ticket or ref number and the check in desk has no trouble finding our booking.

Anyway, I came back to update this as we had a flight last night from Hong Kong to Clark with Tiger. The check in staff at Hong Kong wouldn't accept our onward ticket copy on a smartphone or tablet, they wanted a printed copy.

Immigration on arrival at Clark was horrendous, it seems to be getting worse with queues and the attitudes of the officers there were terrible (we don't mind questions but the officer was really hostile and downright rude to us and several other people in our queue). We had a visa in advance and the officer asked to see our onward ticket and wouldn't accept the electronic copy, we again had to show the printed copy.

It took us about 45 minutes to get through Immigration (even though we were seated in row 3 and were one of the first off the plane!) and saw quite a few people being questioned at length about what they were going to do in the Philippines and were also asked to show onward tickets and electronic ones weren't accepted.

Seems the memo hasn't got through yet!

Edited: 20 September 2013, 14:04
Mentioned in this post