We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leyte

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
172 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Leyte

Hi all,this is my 5th visit to the Philippines and we love the country and the people. This february we would like to visit Leyte Island. We are not divers, senior travelers,former airliners,like to go if possible to unspoiled places, so have Leyte Island in mind.

Does anybody know a nice beach there, or should we go to an island nearby? We have been on Bohol,Siquijor, Negros,...

Any hotel recommendations at a nice beach, also we have in mind to travel around the island.

Thanks a lot for help and suggestions.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leyte

Leyte is full of beautifal scenery. It is very nice scenery up and down the coast. But, there is no particular tourist beach I would recommend you visit

My suggestion is that you visit Biliran. Biliran is attached to Leyte by a bridge, so you can drive there. The actual drive for the last 10 kilometres before you cross the bridge has some magnificent scenery.

Biliran has

- Yellow sand beaches

- Multiple waterfalls

- Hot springs

- Cold springs

- Volcanos

- Mini rice terraces and rice paddies so there is a good chance of seeing carabao in action

- Bat caves used by the Japanese during the second world war

- Diving/snorkelling

- A cemetery where you can see human skulls and bones.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leyte

Jim,

May I know is there anyway that a vehicle and driver can be rented in Tacloban to visit Biliran or it is better to start from Naval?

Which arrangement will make more sense?

Thanks.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leyte

To get there, arrange in Tacloban. On Biliran, just have your resort arrange transport for you to get around the island.

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leyte

By the way, you don't have to get there via Tacloban.

You can catch the Supercat from Cebu City to Ormoc City on Leyte, then bus from Ormoc City to Naval on Biliran. The bus is free as Supercat includes the bus from Ormoc to Naval in the price of the ticket. Just arrange the bus after you check in for the supercat. The bus desk is the next counter after checking in at Terminal 4.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,313 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leyte

I second the suggestion of Biliran. Maybe Big Jim could confirm if there are still vans from Tacloban central bus/van terminal going straight to Biliran via RoRo (or going to the port leading to Biliran).

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leyte

That's good info Jim.

Thanks!

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
172 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leyte

Thanks a lot Jim for the great advice. I might get back to you once I ve made out my complete itinerary.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,104 posts
2,068 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leyte

Hinatangan Island was fun - per haps for a stay of two nights. There is a daily or better ferry (usually around 1100 in the morning) from Naval, Biliran island.

This new, small and basic place has a man made beach I think but the owner was lovely:

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g3814819-d37…

At the southern end of Leyte, Padre Burgos Castle resort is far pricier but you can have David organise a day BBQ trip to Limasawa island (First Mass in 1521 site) plus great snorkelling; one can also find whale sharks in season, which includes January):

http://www.padreburgoscastle.com/

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leyte

Maybe Big Jim could confirm if there are still vans from Tacloban central bus/van terminal

---------------------------------------------

Sorry, I have no need to go to Tacloban. All my travels are via Palompon or Ormoc.

Tuscany, Italy
Level Contributor
172 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leyte

We think to travel by plane to Tacloban, visit, and take a driver to Padre Burgos castle resort.After spending about a week on Leyte we like to visit Biliran for about a week. Take the boat from Ormoc back to Cebu.

My questions:

is it easy to find a driver in Tacloban taking us down to Padre Burgos, any recommendations?Any places we should visit on the way?

How much would we pay for a driver from Tacloban to the South, stopping in places for 1 day?

Do we have to book hotels in advance for February?If Padre Burgos is full, which other hotel or resort?

On Biliran which place does have a nice beach, hotel or resort name?

If not Biliran how easy to get to other island from Leyte, by boat, schedule, Hotel names?

How often is the boat from Ormoc back to Cebu, schedule?

we are not divers, like lovely beaches

Thank you very much for your help.