We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice

Hi

In November, I will be visiting the Phillipines for the first time.

I will be flying from and eventually back to Singapore.

I'm trying to base my intinary somewhat around flight prices. I'm flying out of Iloilo back to Singapore. In terms of flying in, I've found a cheap flight to Cebu, Manila and Clark.

I have roughly 8 days in the Philipines. Based on flying into Cebu or Manila and out of Iloilo, could someone please help me put together a rough intinary of places to visit? Other affordable options to fly into, from Singapore, include Clark. Where would I be best to fly into to make a nice little journey and eventually end up in IIlilo?

I'm a young professional in my early thirties. I love street food, being immersed in local culture, beaches to some extent, fruit markets and LOCAL nightlife. Pet hate is only seeing places tourists visit (though obviously I want to see some touristy things). If anyone can help me put together a nice little intinary this would be much appreachited.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,484 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice

avoid street food.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
1,907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice

Best to research and make up your own rough itinerary which we can comment and assist with. As we are volunteers and not travel agents we dont set up itineraries.

Use the search facility and check out other members trip reports to give you an idea of itineraries. Read the FAQs to the right also.

Agree street food is best avoided IMO as is not like Bangkok street food. Restaurants are relatively cheap in the Philippines.

Tommo

Edited: 22 October 2013, 21:28
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,102 posts
2,068 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice

Visit Siquijor Island or Camiguin Island. Search either on TA.

The Terraces (three levels of dining) adjacent to Ayala Center Cebu City (shopping centre) is a must visit. Sto. Nino church (wonderful) may be partly closed due to belltower earthquake damage, but there are a few other attractions in Cebu City.

In Iloilo, slip across to Guimaras island for the day via a short ferry ride if you have time. However it's not as beautiful as Siquijor plus Apo island or Camuiguin plus Mantqiue Island.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice

8 days doesnt give you a lot of time.

but if you want to see a bit then fly to Cebu, make your way to Dumaguete for the city for local night life and Apo Island for some snorkeling/diving, go to Siquijor if you like just hopping in places for a day or two. Then take an overnight bus to Bacolod. Take in the heritage houses in Silay, outdoor fun in Mambukal, and local night life at the Art District.

the Philippines is not touristy at all except for Boracay. The rest are mostly local tourist. It is a very untouristy country so if you are into that, great. It has less tourist in the entire country than say, Ubud of Bali. ;)

Tweak the above IT to your taste. 8 days is not much so I didnt add more to it. Or it will be a zoom zoom trip like MH.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,484 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice

Sole, I think all the main beach areas are for sure touristy, but that should not be a reason for visiting them.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,293 posts
1,907 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice

Non touristy Camotes Island Cebu.

Tommo

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice

Left,

Was just pointing the touristy stuff cause s/he said it is a pet peeve. But it will never be as touristy as other places in the region for sure.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,923 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice

avoid street food.

--------------------

My girlfriend sells barbecue at night. I will avoid eating her food from now on if you give me a good reason why.

For the OP. My personal suggestion, because I am biased, is

- Fly into Cebu.

- Spend a day or 2 in Cebu City. It will give you culture, street food , markets and night life.

- Pop over to Bohol for a day or 2. It will go some tourist activities such as swimming underground in the Hinagdanan Cave and seeing the Chocoltae Hills. No idea if the Lunch Cruise on the Loboc River will be available by then.

- Back to Cebu City then fly to Caticlan for Boracay. It is the party island.

- From Boracay, hire a van to IloIlo

- Fly out to Singapore

spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice

"My girlfriend sells barbecue at night. I will avoid eating her food from now on if you give me a good reason why."

Big Jim, barbeque has some charred parts and the grilling stuff is exposed at polluted air if your girlfriend sells barbeque near the streets where vehicles frequently pass by. And street foods aren't healthy, you'll never know what kind of ingredient those vendors are putting in the food.

OP, I haven't been to Cebu/Iloilo but I love strolling at the malls in Manila.

10. Re: Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 04:19