We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time trip to the Philippines...life time dream sharks!

2 posts
Save Topic
First time trip to the Philippines...life time dream sharks!

Hi I'm heading to the Philippines this Saturday the 23rd it will be my first time, I was really happy to learn that many parts are safe and not too damaged after the typhoon. Anyways I fly into manila and was planning on spending 1 of my 7 nights there before heading elsewhere, the only thing is I'm not sure where elsewhere should be. I have always wanted to swim with whale sharks and this is my main reason for visiting the Philippines. I'd love if any of you could help me out and let me know the hot spots for whale sharks and if there is anything or anywhere else in the Philippines which are must see things that would be much appreciated too! Thanks a mil.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,663 posts
1,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time trip to the Philippines...life time dream sharks!

Padre Burgos,Oslob and Donsol are the whaleshark "hotspots"

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
1,974 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time trip to the Philippines...life time dream sharks!

Padre Burgos Castle Resort operates tours. Because of the devastation in Tacloban, you would need to get to it a different way, perhaps via Maasin or Ormoc (Ormoc is extremely busy with relatives and friends from Cebu City bringing rice and other necessities across to Leyte Island):

http://www.padreburgoscastle.com/

You are not guaranteed to see whale sharks but there is a good chance at this time of year. It is not like at oslob, Cebu where residents feed the whale sharks.

london
Level Contributor
941 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time trip to the Philippines...life time dream sharks!

Claire

You are heading to a country , parts of which has been devastated by a hurricane less than 2 weeks ago...if hou have not already done so please buy yourself a guide book and read it to find out where you want to go and what you want to do. You will get more replies if you post specific questions.

I saw the whalesharks in Oslob in February, dived with them and they are fantastic, this is reviewed on this board and you need to have a look at that. If you just have a week , southern Cebu would have my vote. Parts of Leyte have been devastated but Padre Bourgos has not.

You will love the Philippines .

Best wishes

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time trip to the Philippines...life time dream sharks!

Hi thanks for the suggestions, thinking about going to either Moalboal or Cebu City apparently this part of Cebu is okay it's the north of the island that got hit? This is what I've gathered from reading posts and articles anyway. If anyone knows differently please let me know. We are looking for somewhere to relax on a beach and hopefully snorkel with a whale shark. We will be staying for 4 maybe five nights and there's plenty of cheap hotels/resorts in both of these areas. Does anyone know if either place I have named above is better than the other? Thanks

london
Level Contributor
941 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time trip to the Philippines...life time dream sharks!

Cebu is like all cities in the developing world , busy , crowded ...it so charming in its own way but Maolbaol is lovely with excellent snorkelling off the beach the whole way around the island.

Best wishes

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
554 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time trip to the Philippines...life time dream sharks!

You should look for the trip report recently made by mousehunt, specifically about moalboal and oslob.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time trip to the Philippines...life time dream sharks!

There is no beach in Moalboal, Panagsama. The nearest white beach is about 1 to 2 km away from Panagsama.

I would suggest after your whale shark in Oslob, go to Panglao instead. This will require you to return to Cebu city and travel by boat to Bohol.

8. Re: First time trip to the Philippines...life time dream sharks!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:19