We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Places in Baguio

manila
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
New Places in Baguio

Hi guys.

Haven't been to the city of Pines in half a decade and I can see that there are a lot of new places in town. Taking up a family with 3 kids (ages 13, 8 and 5) for the Christmas holidays and was wondering if anyone knew of any good places to eat or do there. Was looking at Christmas brunch at Le Chef in Manor but everything else is open. Will be having a number of meals at home (most breakfasts and some dinners) but looking at some of the newer (not franchised) places to eat in the city.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: New Places in Baguio

@ Via

I take back some of what I said about SM Baguio - I just saw some photos of Pines hotel ... I wish SM was smartly unoriginal enough to simply imitate the original facade of Pines hotel - it looks so beautiful!

See? …blogspot.com/2008/…pine-for-pine-hotel.html

Amazing, in Philippines, we copy everything which is not worth copying (the American accent, for instance, and many other American things... :) ) and do not copy many things worth copying (Traditional American, European and Asian architecture, for instance)

manila
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: New Places in Baguio

YLOO, my memories of Baguio ARE the "hill station" Daniel Burnham intended it to be. Kinda like old Chicago (also a Burnham masterpiece). Stayed at the Pines twice and nothing really beats its charm. Hyatt also had its own beauty. Never liked Nevada.

Yes, that's the bakery.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,132 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: New Places in Baguio

Where Baguio Locals Really Eat

i just found this article which is worth sharing here --> …yahoo.com/where-baguio-locals-really-eat-09…

Edited: 05 February 2014, 03:16
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: New Places in Baguio

@ Keg

Nice article - though I found the 93 comments more revealing with more of the popular places to eat . I don't think Baguio people eat at places like O Mai Khan much!

Anyway, most Baguio dwellers don't write much of the places they eat at (it is mostly our visitors from Manila who do that) - I guess they just eat (except when students photograph their food and posting it on fb! )

The easiest way to find local popular spots is to visit Baguio on weekday durign a non touristy time.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,132 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: New Places in Baguio

@ YLOO: What can you say about Slaughterhouse? I read about it many times featured in travel and food blogs.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: New Places in Baguio

@ Keg

Are you referring to Balajadia's at the slaughterhouse? Or Nico's? Yes, they are definitely more local and frequented by locals (though not exactly where one would go to celebrate a special day.. he he!) - as for me, I find it tough to eat at a place whose address contains the words slaughter house .. jsut as I would never be able to eat at the Toilet bowl restaurants!

Which reminds me, I think we should add all the 8 (? I hope I am right on that count...) restaurants in Slaughterhouse to TA listings.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,132 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: New Places in Baguio

Yeah, I'm referring to Balajadia's. I guess I will give it a try next time. I was just a little apprehensive to eat there despite good reviews because there was a "chismis" long ago that they serve dog meat but I guess it is just chismis.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: New Places in Baguio

@ Keg

Not pure chismis - dog meat is "normal" meat is many parts of Phils - Mountain province included.

But restaurants in Baguio (or, for that matter, S/house) serve dog meat only when you order it - not to everyone!

Yes, yes... I know of the 1998 ban... but there are many more important things banned in Phils that happen ...

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,132 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: New Places in Baguio

Thank you for that reassurance about Slaughterhouse. Baguio and the rest of the Cordillera region is quite famous for serving dog meat even in restaurants. I have nothing against them and I don't care if restaurants serve whatever meat they want. I just want to make sure that it would not be served in the restaurant where I will choose to dine.

40. Re: New Places in Baguio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2015, 06:19