We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bohol or El Nido?

Nanjing, China
8 posts
Save Topic
Bohol or El Nido?

I'm volunteering in Bohol for a month in January and I'm trying to decide where to vacation for about 8-10 days afterward. My options right now are to stay in Bohol or travel to El Nido.

My pro/con list is basically split down the middle. On the one hand, I'll already be in Bohol, which seems really beautiful, and I don't want to lose days traveling. But the pictures of El Nido and the rave reviews of the islands are hard to ignore.

In general, I hate crowds, especially at beaches (and I expect El Nido will be packed around CNY) but I'm a solo traveler and I worry that Bohol will be a little TOO quiet and family/couple oriented for me. It also seems like there's more to do in El Nido. Will there be enough activities (hiking, snorkeling, sites, etc.) in Bohol to keep me occupied for 9 days? It seems like a lot of the tourist sites were, sadly, destroyed in the typhoon.

Lastly, in Bohol I would probably stay at Blue Star, a beautiful resort that seems highly recommended on tripadvisor. In El Nido I could stay at El Nido Bay Inn, which doesn't have nearly as good ratings and is over double the price.

I'm so indecisive! Stay and enjoy Bohol or travel to El Nido in early February?

Mentioned in this post
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
Bohol Province, Philippines
El Nido
El Nido
Palawan Island, Philippines
Nido Bay Inn
Nido Bay Inn
51 Reviews
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,442 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bohol or El Nido?

Yes, El Nido is very worth it.

At any given day there are far more tourists in Bohol than El Nido. All of the top 4 domestic airlines have flights using Airbus A320 to Bohol while none goes to El Nido. Only a small propeller plane operated by ITI has flights to El Nido.

Edited: 25 December 2013, 06:25
Mentioned in this post
El Nido
El Nido
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bohol or El Nido?

If you can, go to El Nido. So you see a different side to the Philippines.

Mentioned in this post
El Nido
El Nido
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bohol or El Nido?

Hi,

I would choose Bohol among the two for some simple reasons -

1) El Nido is far more expensive than Bohol- you will end up spending double the money in El Nido for the same facilities

2) Accessibility - Bohol is far easier to reach (eitehr a direct flight or a 2 hour fast ferry from cebu) than El Nido (7 hour bus ride from PP + flight to reach PP) .

3) Better hotels - Bohol has better choices of palces to stay - El Nido has not yet reached that. You can stay in a resort in an outlying island , in the midst of greenery with a sea view fro 2500 pesos. You would have to pay a lot more for a similar deal in El Nido

4) El Nido still does not have proper electricity (no lights from 6 am to 2 pm) and Nil ATMs so you must bring all your cash. Closest ATM is about 4 hours bus ride away

5) Natural beauty - El Nido scores above Bohol in 'above the water' treasures - far prettier lagoons, excellent island hopping (not much of that in Bohol). On the other hand, if you like Snorkelling, corals and walking around in forests etc / watching tarsiers in the wild, Bohol scores.

6) Less touristy - Bohol is far less touristy. El Nido is a distinctly touristy place, with lots of hippy / backpacker crowd (and I do not use the word 'backpacker' in a positive sense here) . A lot of French influence in the restaurants and resorts

Mentioned in this post
Bohol Island
Bohol Island
El Nido
El Nido
4. Re: Bohol or El Nido?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 06:18