We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalibo and Manila Questions

England
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
Kalibo and Manila Questions

I just have a few questions if TA members can help.

We are hoping to get the 2240 flight from Kalibo which arrives in Manila at 2340 as its an ideal time for us compared to other flights.

1. What time would be ideal for us to leave Boracay to reach Kalibo for our flight to Manila?

2. Would it be safe to land in Manila at this time and then for us to get a taxi to our hostel?

3. Currently we haven't booked accommodation but our flight from Manila to home is the next day at 1810. Would we better off staying nearby the airport or could someone recommend an appropriate and safe area to stay?

Thanks

Brisbane
Level Contributor
66 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalibo and Manila Questions

We left our hotel using SouthWest tours at 7am which got us over to Caticlan and to Kalibo with plenty of time for our midday flight.

So I would suggest to allow 4 - 5 hours

There are always monitored taxis at Manila airport. If there are arriving planes - there are taxis.

The airport is not far from the city, so find a hostel in the city so you can explore a bit. No recommendations, sorry.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,512 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalibo and Manila Questions

I don't think evening or midnight is safer or unsafe than other time of the day. It is safe to arrive anytime and the taxis are available 24 hrs a day. Depending on your budget you could look at hotels in Makati which is not too far from the airport.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalibo and Manila Questions

1. 1730hrs.

2. Should be ok if you take a yellow airport taxi from the airport. Make sure the meter is turned on and the fare is clearly displayed.

3. Well, I know someone is going to comment on this. Hahahah!!! Look for those hotel that charge hourly like Sogo Hotel or Victoria Courts. If you check-in in the middle of the night and check out at 1600hrs, you will have to pay for 2 nights. An hourly hotel usually charge in block of 3 hours so it is much cheaper.

But hourly hotel.... you know what are they for but so far I felt safe. So no worries.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalibo and Manila Questions

Stayed in Manila 3 times an have had no issues. Always a cab at the airport an felt perfectly safe in the city. We took several midnight walks threw out the city an had no problems.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalibo and Manila Questions

@ Harsh

All the above suggestions are right -

1. Kalibo takes about 2 hours drive from Caticlan. Boracay to Caticlan + waiting time for the van to start = 1 hour. Hence MH's advice of 1730 sounds perfect.

2. Would it be safe to land in Manila at this time and then for us to get a taxi to our hostel?

Yes - again, take MH's advice of taxis. Hopefully your hostel is easy to spot int eh dark (else remember to keep their mobile number handy)

3. Currently we haven't booked accommodation but our flight from Manila to home is the next day at 1810. Would we better off staying nearby the airport or could someone recommend an appropriate and safe area to stay?

Do you wish to look around a bit? If yes, what is your budget? If 3000 pesos, I personally would choose to stay in White Knight Intramuros and walk around the next day as it allows you to get a glimpse of the Spanish colonial past of Philippines (not apparent in Boracay!)

Else you could stay at many of the budget hotels in Makati area - they are all close to a plethora of shopping malls (the number 1 holiday activity of Filipinos.)

Stay away from Ermita area - it is dirty, crappy and right in the center of the red light area

The airport area itself is a crowded place with poor selection of hotels.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalibo and Manila Questions

if you're staying in makati, you can skip the expensive hotels as there are inns/hostels in the edges of the business district. i know of one or two walking distance from a mall too.

England
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalibo and Manila Questions

Thanks, useful information.

Would anyone suggest staying overnight in Kalibo and then flying in to Manila at 1005am on the day of our flight back home which is at 1810? In this case I guess it would make sense that we just stay at the airport and wait for our flght.

This would save us on a stay in Manila but a night in Kalibo instead.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,149 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalibo and Manila Questions

I would get to MNL the day before an international flight for sure.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kalibo and Manila Questions

@ Harsh...

I agree with left over - stay overnight in manila - you can stay at one of the dormitory type backpacker accommodations if you wish to save money. There are a few close to the airport - after Kabayan hotel, but on the opposite side.

That way, you have taken care of any possible aircraft delays at kalibo.

Neither Kalibo - nor Manila airport have facilities ok to spend more than a few hours - leave alone spend the night.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kalibo and Manila Questions

"you can stay at one of the dormitory type backpacker accommodations"

There is always Sogo and Victoria Courts! :p