We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety for Canadian family

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Safety for Canadian family

We will be traveling to the Philippines with our 14 year old. We would like to go to Palawan and also stay a few days in Manila. How common is kidnapping and terrorism on Palawan...should we stay in Manila? Wanted to travel north to see the beautiful country. Many of our filipino friends say it's not safe for Western people. We would be fine but worried about our 14 year old. Don't want to take chances. Is Purerto Princesa safe? We wanted to use this as a base to go on trips. Is there a better place to stay?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety for Canadian family

Puerto Princesa is safe. El Nido is safe and so does Coron.

Again use your common sense. Do not do the things that you will not do it at home.

I am Asian and have travelled several times to Manila and Philippines and I am still writing this.

I also saw many Caucasians in Bohol, Boracay, El Nido, Cebu city, Dumaguete, Coron and Puerto Princesa.

No worries. Again, be alert like as you are any where else.

You should be ok.

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety for Canadian family

I do not understand why Filipinos in Canada would tell you its not safe here.

Take the same precautions as if you were going to the US but you don't have to worry about muggers, serial killers or mass murderers.

Remember it is a poor country and so petty thieves and pickpockets are plentiful especially in crowded places.

Don't tempt people by leaving valuables where they can easily be taken or by ostentatious displays of wealth.

Dress down and have a wonderful time.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,107 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety for Canadian family

petty thieves and pickpockets are nowhere near as plentiful as in the UK, it can seem scary as you see guards with shotguns outside banks and even small convenience stores and there are police roadblocks which i was not used to in the UK but I have no problem walking home at night, you sometimes come across gangs of young men walking around with machetes, they have most likely been cutting down coconuts and will often say ' hello madam/sir'. You also see men walking down the street with their cock in their hand gently stroking it but thats another story and open to the wrong interpretation.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety for Canadian family

dont let your child wonder off with new friends that you dont know is the best advice beyond what has already been said

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,749 posts
1,934 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety for Canadian family

<<How common is kidnapping and terrorism on Palawan>>

Not common at all! One isolated event which was in Dos Palmas Resort kidnappings in 2001 in Honda Bay area. Beefed up Military in the area now should prevent any such occurrence.

Palawan is a peaceful and beautiful place.

Your Filipino friends are not very well informed and I guess they dont even live in the Philippines.

Tommo

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety for Canadian family

Thanks for all your replies, most of our friends said travel safety was fine. Most problems are in the south. We have traveled through Central America with no problem and always used common sense but have never traveled in a country with where Westerners are the target (Terrorism).

It is nice to hear Palawan is relatively safe :)

Thanks again for putting this mothers mind at rest!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety for Canadian family

Central America is more, on average, dangerous than the Philippines.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety for Canadian family

Yes I would agree totally but in Central America their problems are mostly surrounding drugs and poverty. Terrorism is just not common there.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,636 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety for Canadian family

What terrorism? Airplanes don't hit buildings here. I don't know what news circulated about terrorism where many foreigners died. There are of course crimes just like any other big cities and populous towns.

Is Philippines safe? I'm glad that we are all still alive after visiting various parts of the country.

Will I or you be a victim of a crime? Nobody knows.

Is terrorism possible? I hope not.

Should people avoid the Philippines? It's their choice but as far as I know millions of tourists still visit New York City and Washington DC so why not visit the Philippines.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety for Canadian family

..your friends dont know jack...they probably havent even set foot in mindanao either. there are plenty of westerners in bohol, boracay, banaue, cebu, . never been to palawan.