We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,624 posts
1,675 reviews
Save Topic
Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

Guidebooks RoughGuides and Lonely Planet have included the Philippines in its "Top 10 Countries" and "10 best value holiday destinations" (Palawan) for 2014 respectively. Reasons being country's numerous white beaches, pristine reefs, volcanoes, sleepy backpacker islands and the famed rice terraces as reasons to go. Lonely Planet cites jungle rivers, limestone cliffs and awesome beaches and the Puerto Princesa Underground River as Palawan's attractions.

roughguides.com/best-places/…

lonelyplanet.com/travel-tips-and-articles/lo…

Travel blog, Shurver.com composed a list of the "15 Best Cities in the World" wherein Manila , tied with Paris, is the World's culinary capital. Citing "AskMen", voters have identified the capital of the country as the most passionate about cuisine.

shurver.com/travel/…

The Telegraph has listed the Philippines among its "20 Destinations for 2014." Island-hopping among the archipelago's 7,107 islands, seeing whale-sharks and thresher sharks and festivals are some of the many reasons to go.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/…

The Times includes the country among its round-up of the "Best Spa Holidays for 2014"

Last but not the least, adventure magazine Wanderlust also has the Philippines counted among the "50 Best Trips for 2014" in its January edition.

This is great, encouraging and exciting news for tourism in the Philippines for 2014.

Its definitely "More Fun in the Philippines."

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,540 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

Hands off to you tommo for searching and compiling all of those articles. This should be the first thing that we should see in the FAQs.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,624 posts
1,675 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

@ Keg I wont take the credit as I found the compilation written by another author !

But its great reasons to visit in 2014!

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,967 posts
2,059 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

For those thinking if visiting from Europe (including the UK) many may still nobe aware that Philippine Airlines through www.philippineairlines.com is now operating five afternoon flights a week (daily except Tuesdays and Fridays) from London Heathrow to Manila using a modern Boeing 777-300.

PAL is the only operator to offer direct flights from anywhere in Europe to Philippines so please consider supporting it.

I am in Makati at present. I have observed groups of Koreans and Japanese staying in Pasay City hotels and Indians and Malaysians in Makati. The Midas Hotel and Fairmont Hotel have both been full on at least one night of each if my stays.

Disregard any media that imply that typhoons have wiped out Philippines. This is false. Philippines' provincial accommodation is typically more expensive than Thailand's but the white sand beaches are arguably better and with the singular exception of Boracay, less crowded. As bonuses, Filipinos are extremely welcoming to visitors, domestic air and ferry links have good frequencies and San Miguel beer is cheap.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 03:28
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

Hotel bookings have jumped on Boracay for future stays I am told, booking.com and agoda are more than active now on the island and incentives are in place for them to open up new hotels on Boracay.

Things seem to be back in order now after the LULL, which followed the typhoon.

Even the Chinese papers are recommending the Philippines in the midst of their problems with the government here.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,624 posts
1,675 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

LO2 I loved the quietness of Boracay during last December compared to previous years. I guess lots got scared off. I feel for those businesses who were affected by cancellations and the quietness.

Tommo

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,411 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

My info on the sand is that is all changing back to "normal" We shall see. Many hotels and restos got hit hard and at same time power bills went up I am told. We stayed at Blue Mango for a few days for a great walk in deal and the owner couldn't say enough about the problems on the island

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

"Travel blog, Shurver.com composed a list of the "15 Best Cities in the World" wherein Manila , tied with Paris, is the World's culinary capital. Citing "AskMen", voters have identified the capital of the country as the most passionate about cuisine."

It also cited the Philippines as equal 5th with Germany in the manufacture of quality automobiles and equal first with Pakistan for the worlds most sexy women.

fairfield...
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

....<equal first with Pakistan for the worlds most sexy women>.. Pakistan?? Pakistan??

....NOT even close Sweetheart!! ..;-)

Papalo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,540 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

I agree with Papalo, I know that Pakistan does not join in beauty contests but I just want to brag that the worst performing Filipina in the latest editions of Ms. Universe, Ms. International and Ms. World placed 3rd runner-up as the other 2 won both titles. I am not familiar with Ms. Supranational and Ms. Tourism International but I would like to give the credit where it is due, congratulations also to both of them. 4 international titles in a single year does not come very often.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Philippines named as one of Top Places to visit in 2014!

Bravo Philippines....2014 will be even better thanlast year....thanks for posting...