We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philippines in August

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Philippines in August

Hello

I am heading over in August and was looking for advice for the best location at this time.

I have done quite a lot of research and opinions vary but Cebu and the surrounding areas seems to be a safe bet in terms of avoiding typhoons and it not raining to much.

Any help on whether I am correct here or totally of track would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Edited: 09 February 2014, 00:39
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philippines in August

August is in the typhoon season and it can happen anywhere within the Philippines.

So I would not say that it is a safe place but my thinking is that during the typhoon season, Mindanao is the better place to be in.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,608 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philippines in August

Any help on whether I am correct here

----------------------------------------------------

Correct

I have been in the Cebu area (Visayas) for many Augusts.

The most likely weather pattern in the Visayas in August is rain for a short time each day and fine for the rest.

You can get stretches of completely dry weather too. While it is pouring down in the north. You can go days without rain in Cebu.

You can still get a typhoon in the Visayas. A typhoon for me usually just means that my travel plans are interrupted and I spend the day drinking instead.

Of course typhoon Yolanda wasn't like that. I am still waiting for electricity to see if the fridge works. It was blown on it's side. Everything else was wrecked or blew away.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Philippines in August

The typhoon tracks during August usually comes in to the southeast of luzon (Bicol Region) and up towards Luzon island, then exits to the west-northwest of tho island.

during this period, i would suggest you go to the southern cities, like davao, or cebu. you'll have a better chance of a good time there. stay away from the islands of samar, leyte, bicol region, or the northern parts of luzon.

Philippines
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Philippines in August

In August head south and east for good weather - e.g. Eastern Samar, Samar, Leyte, Southern Leyte, Surigao, eastern side of Mindanao. Central Visayas (Cebu, Bohol, etc) is usually also OK, but you get more rainfall the further west you go.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philippines in August

Average rainfall in mm during August

General Santos (Southern Mindanao) 84

Tagbilaran (Bohol, Central Visayas) 113

Surigao (NE Mindanao) 155

Cebu (Central Visayas) 162

Tacloban (Eastern Visayas) 162

Puerto Princesa (Central Palawan) 172

Legazpi (SE Luzon) 191

Davao (Southern Mindanao) 192

Manila (Luzon) 426

Boracay (Western Visayas) 460

Busuanga (Northern Palawan) 538

Baguio (Northern Luzon) 715

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,735 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philippines in August

3 typhoons during the month of August is the average so it could be 2 or 4 or 5. Anyway, typhoon paths are predictable so you will be warned a few days before it will hit a particular region.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,608 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philippines in August

stay away from the islands of.......snip..... leyte

-------------------------------------------------------------

Why?

It has very similar weather to Cebu.

At least the area I live does.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 20:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Philippines in August

Hi. I am also going to the Philippines in August. I'm planning on the following:

Manila

Borocay

Palawan

El Nido

Cebu

Bohol

Would you suggest removing any of those out of my itinerary? I am a scuba diver and wondering if the weather will affect diving and other watersports activities? Does it rain all the time in August or is there likely to be a period of sunshine?

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Philippines in August

@going global14 You can skip Manila, unless you have to arrive/depart from there. August tend to be cloudy and muggy around Manila, sometimes it just pours buckets even without a typhoon.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,705 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Philippines in August

Agree and if your objective is to dive and you are in the Visayas and also if you have enough time, you can add Malapascua and Moalboal into your list.