We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pal express no more cebu hub?

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,433 posts
584 reviews
Save Topic
pal express no more cebu hub?

I did some mock bookings for flights out of cebu for april and may, nothing comes out: cebu to bacolod, iloilo, caticlan, puerto princesa, butuan, cagayan de oro.

I am hearing people being rerouted from cebu to manila and towards their final destination, what used to be a direct flight.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,783 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pal express no more cebu hub?

I called PAL Express to inquire and the reservation agent has also no idea why there are no flights at least for the Cebu-Iloilo and Cebu-Bacolod for the summer peak season. I wonder what would the airline do with their Bombardier turboprops that are based in Cebu if they will pull out from these routes.

philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,433 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pal express no more cebu hub?

I dont think its the turbo props. Even cebu davao and cebu zamboanga are not available. I know the davao route is a jet.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 16:21
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,783 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pal express no more cebu hub?

Really? That's very unlikely specially for the peak season. Could it be just a computer glitch? Does the Cambodia Air venture has something to do with it? PAL Express and PAL even have the biggest booth at the PTAA Travel Expo at SMX when I went there.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,014 posts
2,061 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pal express no more cebu hub?

I did a 'ghost' (pretend) booking for 14 April from Davao to Cebyu, returning on 7 May 2014.

The only available flights were via Manila NAIA.

It may be that PALExpress (airline code 2P) has yet to finalise its 'summer' timetable, but this would be problematical for it as many potential travellers would be starting to book now for Holy Week.

There was no mention of any changes at this excellent website below, but perhaps PALExpress is slow to inform 'the world' about any fligtht reductions:

http://airlineroute.net

Edited: 14 February 2014, 20:39
philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,433 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pal express no more cebu hub?

pal ticketing office confirmed that pal express will stop using cebu as a hub starting march 1. they will maintain manila as their only hub.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pal express no more cebu hub?

I wonder what is the rationale?

PAL Express seems to be in a mess with frequent flight changes and now pulling out of Cebu as a hub.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,783 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pal express no more cebu hub?

So I guess there will be more frequencies to many destinations from Manila to fill the void of the Cebu hub flights.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pal express no more cebu hub?

This may also mean the Cebu Pacific will be the major carrier in Cebu.

Will this mean higher fares?

philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,433 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pal express no more cebu hub?

Major? I see it as a takeover. They said no mention of pal taking over some of the route abandoned by palex. I dont think people will be riding pal express even out of manila when pal express keeps on changing schedules. Its foolish for pal to think they can focus on the international route and supposedy let palex handle the domestic part, something palex is so miserably doing of late.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pal express no more cebu hub?

PAL should just leave APX alone then.

If it's ain't broken, why fix it?

San Miguel is still better in selling beer but not managing an airline.