We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on where to go....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on where to go....

I will be coming to the Philippines for 7-10 days in August 2014 after a one week trip diving of Chuuk Island (the WW2 Japanese warships underwater there). So diving is fine but not at the top of my list for this segment of my trip. I would like to do things (historical sites, breathtaking views, hike, zipline, underwater river cruising sounds good, some diving maybe), not be in a HUGE city for days on end, and would like to have really good food. I am a single female traveler (51), very fit, and not into bars and nightlife scenes. I like to get to know the people who really live there so do not stay at large, chain resorts. Any suggested places or itineraries?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,152 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on where to go....

Any suggested places or itineraries?

#############################

When you start researching, you will discover you need 7 to 10 weeks, just to see the places you never knew about and want to see now.

For a quick trip, to get the biggest bang for your buck, here is my suggestion.

Fly Manila to Tagbilaran Bohol.

On Panglao Island, Bohol, consider staying at Hope Homes.

http://hopehomes-danao.com/index.php/en/

IThey have FREE motorbike hire with their rooms. Just pay fuel and your own insurance.

- P750 (about usd $17) per night gets you a free motorbike hire plus a room with double bed and fan plus private bathroom with cold water shower and porch with table and chairs. NO TV, NO Aircon, NO fridge

- P1300 (about usd $30) per night gets you a free motorbike hire plus room with a double bed, fridge, aircon, sattelite TV, private bathroom with hot water shower. Plus porch with table and chairs.

It is away from the main tourist area so you will be interacting with locals just walking in the street nearby. I stayed here in September and when I went walking to the beach, there were many locals who said hello. One walk, a Fillipino wanted to walk with me just so he could talk to an American. Not that I am but he thought I was.

Once you have the motorbike, you can ride all over Bohol. Panglao island is attached to the main island of Bohol by a bridge and a causeway. So getting the bike onto Bohol is not an issue.

Things you might be interested on Bohol, including Panglao island, include

- White sand beaches

- Diving/snorkelling

- the Chocolate Hills

- whale and dolphin watching

- tarsier sanctuaries

- butterfly sanctuaries

- wild life sanctuaries

- fire fly tours

- adventure tours including zip lining

- historical sites dating back to 1565

- several waterfalls

- swimming underground in the Hinagdanan cave

- lunch tours on the Loboc river

- hanging bamboo bridges over the Loboc river

- the Bohol Bee Farm where you can see mats, clothes and knick knacks being made then eat a meal with edible flowers and honey.

- rice paddies which means there is a high chance of seeing a Carabao in action

From Bohol, travel to Camiguin Island. There are several boats from Jagna Bohol each day to Camiguin.

I don't have a deal like Hope Homes on Camiguin but if you want budget, this is where I stayed

http://www.secretcovecamiguin.com/

Things that you might be interested in on Camiguin Island include,

- volcano trekking.

- a huge, white sand, sand bar called White Island

- Hot springs. Ardent Hot Springs is a series of pools ranging from luke warm to 100f. Some of the pools have mini waterfalls.

- Cold springs

- historical sights/sites

- A sunken cemetery

- Waterfalls

- Diving/snorkelling

- Rice paddies. Which means there is a high chance of seeing a Carabao in action.

After Camiguin, catch a boat to Cagayan De Oro (CDO)

From CDO, you can catch a plane back to Manila for the trip home. Or if you are interested, you can go white water rafting first. Here is one of several companies that arrange white water rafting.

http://www.kagaycagayandeororafting.com/

Do this at your own risk.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on where to go....

Do note that August is the wettest time of the year in some parts of the Philippines.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,171 posts
1,637 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on where to go....

...and dont forget the Top questions listed to the right---------->

which contain lots of great information to get you started.

Tommo

4. Re: Need advice on where to go....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 06:17