We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,206 posts
2,170 reviews
Save Topic
Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

Philippines' annual tourism arrivals at under 5 million are way below Thailand's 22 million, although the latter may include some surface travellers who slip across the border for a short time.

Will major articles such as this result in any previously prospective Thai holidaymakers switching to Philippines or do you think that those who want(ed) to go to Thailand either realise that the problems are largely in bangkok, or they decide to wait until things settle down and do not even consider Philippines, Bali or Fiji as alternatives?:

theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/what-the-go…

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

From what I am hearing on other forums, people are just avoiding Bangkok and either transferring straight down to the islands or north to Chiang Mai or just flying direct into one of the other international airports in Thailand.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

Meant to add as a personal experience. We are flying to Bangkok on Monday to meet my parents for their once yearly holiday. Their flights and holiday were booked after the trouble started in Bangkok. They have visited the Philippines twice but they haven't mentioned cancelling their trip to Thailand, they aren't worried about their safety and haven't expressed any interest in returning to the Philippines for their holiday.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

There seems to be an overabundance of headlines in these forums on the dangers of the Philippines and now Thailand followed by an overabundance of answers from the usual suspects as to how safe the Philippines are compared to the USA, Europe Bali and especially Venezuala and PNG.

I suspect if there are reports putting people off Thailand then the naive traveller will think " If its bad in Thailand what the hell is it going to be like in the Philippines !' and they will head for Spain, Acapulco, Bali, and beyond.

Mentioned in this post
Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

The less people go there, the better. Tousim is a bane as it is a boon. More bane than boon as I what I have witnessed where I live.

As for people unhappy about living in the Philippines, they should move to wherever they want in Asia.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

I do not foresee any numbers or not too many of tourist will choose Philippines instead of Thailand.

Remember BKK is not Thailand.

Thailand have its own beaches, islands and nightlife. Tourist need not have any encounter with the protestors and they can take the next flight out of BKK to another domestic destination.

Mentioned in this post
philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
625 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

waiting for the JBR from MH for Thailand...

Mentioned in this post
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

Altec,

What makes you think so? :p

Edited: 26 February 2014, 09:52
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,458 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

I am a regular visitor of the Thailand forum for the past month as I would go there with just a transit in Bangkok. Phuket, Koh Samui and Chang mai are benefitting from the protests according to what I gather from other TA members.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,763 posts
2,125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

Keg Im also a regular visitor to that forum as Chang Mai is in my itinerary for 2015. Visitors are just transiting Bangkok for onward journeys to other parts of Thailand as a result of the political unrest.

Tommo

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,458 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thai troubles: positive for Philippines' inbound tourism?

@ Tommo: You will love Chang Mai as it is a heritage town with a weather like that of Baguio City.

Many travelers in the Thailand forum would not even consider the beaches of Malaysia (Langkawi, Tioman and Penang) as an alternative for Thailand because they know that the beaches of Thailand are better. How I wish they research more to find excellent beaches in where else... the islands of the Philippines.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 11:25
Mentioned in this post
Baguio
Baguio
Luzon, Philippines
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia