We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
91 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

Hi everyone.I posted here earlier asking for help (big shout out to Big Jim)

These are the things that we(2 adults,2 yound kids and four more adults joinisng us) would like to do.

We love the beach, so I thought that we could stay at El Nido and travel around there-small lagoon hidden beach.

We would love tos wim with the whale sharks and also climb the volcano.

1) Please can someone help me put this plan together.

2)How can I get to all these places?Would it be better to do Donsol or Bohol or oslob(whale sharks dolphins)

3)Are we still allowed to climb Mount Mayon? Is it safe?

Calauit wildlife Sanctuary? Tubbataha reef Marine park? Tarsiers?

What a super experience Philippines promises to be. I can hardly wait!

Please help me string this together. We are not on a tight budget and are more concerned about ease of travel. Long boat trips cant work_seasick.

Thanks a bunch. Mehra

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

How many days do you have?

If you want guarantee sighting of Whale Shark, go to Oslob but it is a long bus ride. If you want a more comfortable ride, rent a private driver and car to bring you there.

Do not attemopt to trek Mount Mayon unless you are prepare for the risk. Go to PInatubo instead. Again it is a very long ride from Manila.

Tubbataha reef Marine park is usually for diving and live on board. Day trip to the park is virtually impossible.

Bohol will be more tourist friendly. One sight to another may need an hour ride.

El Nido is another hell of a ride but it is wirth it.

In summary, you will need to prepare for long distance travel within the Philippines.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

@ Kanteli

1) Tarsiers -

The best place to see them is the national park at corella (Beware : there is only one national park and 50 shops that pose as tarsier sanctuaries!). At the Corealla park, they take you in teh jungle and you spot tarsiers all around - extremely cute, it is great to see them like this, up close, yet in their natural environment (the posing sanctuaries on the other hand keep captive tarisers, usually in chains, which die a month :(

It is also well worth it. You can take a trike or taxi from Alona beach Bohol (where most people stay) and see this along with other activities.

3)Are we still allowed to climb Mount Mayon? Is it safe?

No - I would not recommend that for 2 reasons

1) Mayon looks far more beautiful from a distance. up close it looks like any otehr volcano (in which case, it is far safer and easier to climb up Tagaytay volcano, where also you can see steam come out, but it does not spew lava)

Mayon is an active volcano - it erupted jsut a few days after I visited Legaspi last - and took away the lvies of a few climbers. Hence climbing it is not a good idea. (If you do wish to risk your life, why not climb a more popular volcano - like Vesuvius? Or Mount Fuji!)

I had tried the Pinatubo climb, but frankly, it was no great shakes - nothing interesting - and actually the photo of the sulphur lake looks far better BEFORE and AFTER you visit, than when you are right there. It is also very very uncomfortably hot!!

However, I definitely recommend visiting Legazpi - Cagsawa ruins - Mt Mayon is beautiful - and yes, in real, she is more magnificent than seeign in photos. The view across the fields, from Cagsawa ruins was picture perfect - I spent a few hours there just gazing at her (after I waited about 2-3 hours for the clouds to clear). Best time to see - late afternoon / evening and morning.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 10:59
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
91 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

Thank you so much for helping me out, YouLiveOnlyOnce.

Philippines has so much to see and do - iy's very hard to choose.I think I will see if there is a volcano research station at either Taal or Mayon- It will make geography so much more enjoyable for my children. Pinatubo is ruled out.

MouseHunt- Thank you for your mail where you addressed each of my concerns. I heard that Southern Leyte whale shark swimming is super-right?I guess the best way to get to El Nido is to fly into PP,spend a night there, take a car,do the underground river and continue up to El Nido.

MouseHunt, you mentioned Oslob being a long drive, but one can fly into Cebu and then take a bus (that's what I HAD planned on doing till I heard about Southern Leyte)

This week is planning week-Busy. Thanks for all the help.

Please let me know if there should be any changes to my plan.

Regards kanteli

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

kanteli,

Yes, you can take a bus but it is a 3 hour ride at least to Oslob.

Southern Leyte is a good place to see whale shark during season. If it is not the season, I would advise you not to travel there because it is even a longer ride then from Cebu to Oslob.

The difference between Oslob and Southern Leyte is in Oslob, it is almost guarantee that you can see the whale shark. In Southern Leyte or anywhere else, since the whale shark is in the wild, there is no such thing as guarantee to see it. As the name says it, they are in the wild. Oslob whale shark are "domesticated".

Your way of getting to El Nido is right but if you arrive early morning, you can take a transport straight from the airport to El Nido using services like Daytripper.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

I'm trying to do a similar trip in April, I was planning on visiting Donsol for the whale sharks - are they no longer guaranteed round there?

Easiest way to get to El Nido is a flight, you can fly from Manila to El Nido directly with ITI airlines, its not cheap though - around 7500PHP one way, but only takes one hour (bus ride from Puerto Princessa takes all day)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

Gemma,

Wildlife sighting is never guaranteed.

So it really boils down to luck and I have my fair share of it.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
91 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

Thank you Mouse Hunt. I have decided to do Cebu (and Oslob) and fly from there to PP .

Stay three days doing Underground river,Ugong Rock. Someone mentioned that I can just snorkel at Tubbataha (looking into that)

Please let me know what are good stay options at Cebu , and what are some super things to do around there.

I am trying to get a booking and a decent deal at Abaca Boutique hotel.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
91 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

YouLiveOnlyOnce, thank you also for your help. I am taken your advice and,sadly,knocked off volcanoes from my 'to do'. If you have any Cebu tips...please..

All the best for your trip Gemma,have a grand time- and if you decide to do Oslob instead,we may meet you there!!!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

You need more than 4 hours to travel from PP to Tubbataha.

Unless you stay overnight on the boat else how are you going to come back?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
91 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manila-el nido-oslob/donsol/bohol/-volcano(mayon/pinatubo)

Thank you MouseHunt.