We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice

Barbados
Level Contributor
569 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice

Hi,

We're just looking for some advice on where would suit us best to visit during a trip to the Philippines.

We arrive into Cebu and will have around 3 weeks.

We have done a lot of travelling recently so we're just really looking for places to take it easy on nice white sand beaches. Nice snorkeling and the possibility of spotting some marine life would be great too. The less travel involved in getting to places the better. Ideally we'd like to check out around 4 different islands.

We had been thinking Bohol, Boracay and Palawan anyway.

Any tips on whether they would suit what we're looking for? Or are there other islands better suited? Is there a particular order that we'd be best visiting them in?

We arrive in Cebu next week.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,908 posts
1,622 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Itinerary Advice

In Bohol I would base myself at a beach like Alona Beach.

We used Oceanjet and paid a little extra for business class. Business class was virtually empty each time we travelled. You can also pre book tickets with Asia Travel or Luzviminda Travel and Tours.

Tommo

Barbados
Level Contributor
569 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Itinerary Advice

Thanks again.

Is it far from the airport to the ferry terminal in Cebu? Are there buses that do this route? Is it to get to Alona Beach after arrival in Bohol?

Again, apologies for all the questions, we're just badly prepared for this part of our trip.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Itinerary Advice

Take a taxi from the airport to the pier.

There is no bus servicing this route.

From Tag to Alona, take a "taxi" or trike.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,908 posts
1,622 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Itinerary Advice

From Tag to Alona they are not "official" taxis but vans in waiting which charge a fixed fare. Or book one of the recommended drivers on the forum but plenty drivers waiting at the Pier.

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,987 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Itinerary Advice

There are also official metered taxis from Tagbilaran port and they will charge you double the meter fare which is about ₱400.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Itinerary Advice

For Mousehunt, it is not that sunscreen specifically is a weapon but chemicals for a bomb can be secreted in sunscreen bottles, toothpaste tubes etc. Then mixed on board.

For BarbadosSecret1, I believe you should stay in Cebu city on the first night. Use the opportunity to get cashed up and settled in. Maybe even stay a couple of nights. Then set off on your adventure. One reason is that if you are arriving during holy week without a booking, you may not be riding on a boat to your destination. Yes, Holy week is very busy for accommodation and travelling. You already may miss out on your preferred accommodation.

However, in regard to the airport. It is on Mactan island. Mactan island is joined to mainland Cebu by two bridges. The bridges cross the Upon Channel between Lapu Lapu City on Mactan island and Mandaue City on the main island of Cebu. Mandaue City is next to Cebu City. There is no short trip bus system operating in Metro Cebu. The busses operate long haul from Cebu City to other locations on the island of Cebu. There are jeepnies though. They operate like a bus but you would not want to try riding on jeepnies first time in Cebu City. You will want to take a taxi. It takes about 30 to 40 minutes on normal day time traffic to get from the airport to the Centre of Cebu City or to the pier area. 12:15pm is normal daytime traffic. Expect to pay between about P250 to p300 for a yellow airport taxi to your hotel in Cebu City.

To get cashed up in Cebu City, I use HSBC. They are opposite Ayala Mall and nearly opposite the Marriott Hotel on C Rosales Avenue. If you are staying at Parklane, Mandarin Plaza, Quest, Regal, Tune or Island Stay, the HSBC will be on the other side of Ayala Mall to your hotel. HSBC has 2 indoor ATM's operating 24/7 with a guard on the door. HSBC does not add an additional P200 fee like other banks, at least they do not charge me an additional fee. They dispense up to P40,000 in a single withdrawal. HSBC accept VISA, PLUS, CIRRUS, MASTERCARD and maybe some other systems.

This time of year is good weather. It is the middle of June when the weather starts to turn. Having said that however, I was married on Leyte on the 17th June 19 years ago. It was 38c (100f) on that day. It is possible that you will go your whole trip without rain. You might also have it pouring down with rain for short periods.

When travelling between Islands, you will use the transport best suited for each destination.

Where to base yourself on Bohol depends on what you are seeking. I prefer to be in Tagbilaran City and travel around from there. Since you want beach, my strong suggestion is Alona Beach on Panglao Island.

Does your desire to take a bus from the airport indicate you are on a tight budget. If so, I have some very cheap options for Alona Beach

Here is something really cheap. It is Hope Homes

http://hopehomes-danao.com/index.php/en/

It is about 30 minutes walk to Alona beach so you have to be able to

ride a motorbike. They provide a motorbike, with two helmets, FREE

with the room. Just pay your own petrol and insurance. With your

motorbike, you can then tour all over the Bohol province. They offer 2

classes of room

- P750 per night for a fan cooled room with double bed and cold water

shower. No TV, No Aircon, no fridge. Plus free motorbike.

- P1300 per night for an aircon room with satellite TV, fridge, double

bed and hot water shower. Plus free motorbike.

They have a small restaurant/bar with pool table. Plus free wifi which operates best when sitting in the restaurant and may operate in your room.

Here is a better class of accommodation. It is Flower garden Resort.

It is a resort in a garden setting on a road behind the resorts that have beach frontage on Alona Beach. You can't walk through the beach front resorts. You have to walk around. It takes 10 minutes to walk to the restaurants, supermarket, ATM, bars and the beach at Alona Beach. The resort has it's own swimming pool.

They offer several of what they call a 2 storey house. i think a better description is a bungalow. I have been inside house number 1. It is P1900 per night, good for 3. Upstairs is the main bedroom and a smaller bedroom off the main bedroom plus a covered balcony with table and chairs. Downstairs is a living room with cable TV, full kitchen and bathroom plus a covered porch with table and chairs. So you dine upstairs or downstairs under cover but open air. The website is here.

flowergarden-resort.com/Preise-E.htm#Service

flowergarden-resort.com/Mainframe-E/Mainfram…

There is a boat from Cebu City to all of the islands I mentioned. Which makes the travel simple between Cebu City and each location but not so easy to get between each of the other island locations.

Biliran is not part of Leyte but is joined to Leyte by a bridge. Boats from Malapascua will take people diving in Maripipi. Maripipi is close to Biliran. There is no boat service especially between Biliran and Malapascua but it means you could get a boat between the 2 locations, if you wanted.

I don't dive and I have been to Malapascua 5 times. I enjoy relaxing on Malapascua. Especially sitting at the Maldito bar drinking cocktails and taking in the view of Logon Beach. Cocktails such as Tequila Sunrise or Margherita were P125 in September. They were half that we no sea view at the Ging Ging Garden restaurant.

For the islands I mentioned, i have been having a rethink. maybe it is too much travelling.

However, if you are interested still here is a suggestion

- Travel from Cebu City to Oslob in Southern Cebu for whale sharks.

- Pop over to Dumaguete City on Negros then catch the next boat to Siquijor.

- From Siquijor catch the next boat back to Dumaguete City then fast ferry to Tagbilaran Bohol

- From Bohol, travel to Camiguin Island. There are several boats from Jagna Bohol each day to Camiguin.

- After Camiguin, catch a boat to Cagayan De Oro (CDO)

- From CDO, you can go white water rafting. Here is one of several companies that arrange white water rafting.

http://www.kagaycagayandeororafting.com/

- From CDO, catch a boat back to Cebu City.

- Catch a fast ferry to Ormoc City. Get the next v-hire going to Biliran

- Travel from Biliran back to Plompon Leyte.

- From Palompon visit Kalanggaman island.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g2040759-i23886…

- The next day, travel on the boat from Palompon to Bogo Cebu.

- At Bogo, get on the next bus going to Maya in Northern Cebu.

- Get on the next bangka boat to Malapascua Island

- From Malapscua Island, catch a bangka boat to Bantayan Island

- After Banatayan island, catch the boat back to mainland Cebu and the bus back to Cebu City.

No 8 hour bus trips. The boat from CDO to Cebu City is overnight though which is quite pleasant if you travel in a Presidential Suite on Transasia

http://www.transasiashipping.com/

There is a whole flotilla of boats travelling between Cebu City and Bohol. My favourite is Supercat. It is also how I would travel between Cebu City and Leyte.

http://supercat.ph/

Supercat used to travel between Tagbilaran City and Dumaguete City but not any more. Now you travel on the OceanJet. The OceanJet is also how to get between Jagna Bohol and Camaguin and Camiguin and CDO.

http://oceanjet.net/

One thing you would definitely miss out on for Palawan is the Underground River

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Itinerary Advice

By the way, if you are now thinking to yourself, i have to cut something out, do not cut Siquijor.

I have video of Siquijor but I think this video by another Tripadvisor member shows it off much better. Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjynPjc9gbI

Barbados
Level Contributor
569 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Itinerary Advice

We're going to try get to Alona Beach tomorrow. We'll have a think then about the rest of our plans.

So am I right in saying we should expect to pay 250-300 in a taxi from the airport to the ferry terminal and then 400 from the ferry terminal on Bohol to Alona?

Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Itinerary Advice

Yes, that is correct.

Barbados
Level Contributor
569 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Itinerary Advice

Just an update and a thanks from us!

We arrived into Cebu today. Thankfully we had our onward flight booked as they asked to see proof of it!

We made our way to Alona Beach and only paid the amounts we were advised to on the taxis. It was great to have an idea of what they should cost.

We're on a tight budget but we found a nice little place near the beach.

The plan now is to take it easy and plot our next stops. I'm sure we'll be back with more questions soon!

Thanks again!