We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly moving to Makati

Manila
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Possibly moving to Makati

We are exploring the opportunity of moving to Makati as an Expat and we are having trouble finding resources for expats. We have 3 small children, 5,3,and,1. My wife is worried about safety and the cultural differences. I have spent a couple of years in Europe, and welcome the opportunity. Any help would be appreciated. Texas to Makati.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
643 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibly moving to Makati

Makati is a great place for expats. There are a lot of foreign nationals living there and they go about their life in a very normal way once they have adapted to the culture which is not difficult as I see it. Most foreign nationals adapt to the Philippines readily like it's their second home. For one, the Philippines is the third largest English speaking country in the world. You can talk to everyone here in English since almost everyone here speaks English especially all establishments in Makati where, as I have mentioned before, most expats stay. Movies are in English, instructions are in English, the medium of education is in English, etc. Not much cultural difference I think since the Philippines is more influenced by the West than by its neighboring Asian countries. Well, except perhaps the fact that Filipinos have more family ties and the Westerns are more exposed to advanced technology. But I think you would do well here. Don't worry much about safety. As long as you're not careless, and you don't wear expensive jewelries in public you're ok. Just stay low key and everything will be alright.

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibly moving to Makati

The American Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines can help you find the information that you are looking for. They can recommend movers, housing resources, American women's groups, schools, etc. Their website is www.amchamphilippines.com.

Good luck!

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibly moving to Makati

Visit www.moveandstay.com and click Manila. They have tips for moving expats.

4. Re: Possibly moving to Makati

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 11:19