We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

MyCity
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

Hi,

I am totally confused with the PAL / PAL express checked-in baggage allowances and would appreciate if you could help me.

We will be travelling with 20kg baggage each. I can see that for domestic flights the allowance is 10kg. I thought that I would be able to purchase a bigger allowance or use a different fare rate. However, on most flights that I checked there is just one fare rate (regular economy) available and I cannot see any option to buy additional baggage allowance.

So how do I travel with a bigger baggage on domestic flights? Pay for each kg of excess baggage on the airport? Do they tend to strictly follow the allowances and cash for excess?

Or is it better to try and choose Cebu Pacific or AirAsia and buy 20kg right from the start?

Thanks!

65 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,953 posts
2,059 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

There is an excess baggage fee of P200 a kilo:

…philippineairlines.com/flights/…

It does not say but I assume that one pays at the airport. Bring cash to keep things simple. Weigh your bag before you travel and transfer as much as possible to your handcarry.

Stick with Philippine Airlines/ PAL Express. Cebu Pacific may be even more strict.

Edited: 30 March 2014, 21:29
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,581 posts
1,671 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

You can prepay up to 45 kg with PAL and it is clearly shown on the website booking page "bag selection".

I confirmed this with a dummy booking.

Tommo

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
579 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

To support what Tommo said, its on the PAL website page: REVIEW YOUR ITINERARY AND PRICE (stated in RED in the website). Scroll down, its after AIR ITINERARY DETAILS, before PAL TRAVEL INSURANCE option.

Your preferred extra baggage is over and above your built in 10kgs if you book a regular economy ticket. Minimum additional is 15kgs, all the way up to 45 kgs, as mentioned above.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

The higher the fare the higher your baggage allowance on PAL. I just booked a premium economy (which I think has replaced their business on internal flights) and have been allowed 20kg. Still not enough for me, but that is another story.

MyCity
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

Thanks for your replies.

I tried a few flight options and it seems that on some routes this is not available. For MNL-USU and MNL-TAG I do not see the "Bag selection" section at all while it is there for MNL-CEB, for example :(

Did any of you ever manage to solve this? I don't want to pay an insane price by paying per kg excess baggage if I know I could just prepay that!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

Can you let us know which route are you actually looking for?

We can try out and also try to find the reason why.

MyCity
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

As mentioned above, Manila - Coron - Manila and Manila - Tagbilaran. Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

Manila to Coron is using propeller plane. So you maybe can purchase more luggage allowance when you check-in.

As for MNL-TAG, I can't access Philippines Airlines website at the moment. So I can't check for you.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

I can't find any add-in baggage option for MNL-TAG flight.

Weird.

MyCity
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?

Thanks Mousehunt. I sent them an e-mail, I'm curious to learn what solutions they have for this. Seems stupid for me to be made to pay for excess luggage in this case.

Reply to: 20kg baggage on domestic PAL flights - possible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted