We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Critic my self made itinerary!

Ramstein-Miesenbach...
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Critic my self made itinerary!

Greetings!

My name is Nick, I'm currently stationed in South Korea at Osan AFB, and am about to take some time off. I have spent quite a bit of time researching my trip to the Philippines from 01 June 14 to around 16 Jun, and although I have tried to anticipate my options and possible outcomes for this trip; two heads (or 50) are better than one. So I am asking for you to review my plans and let me know what you think. Keep in mind this trip is just a plan for now, with nothing concrete. Thank you!

01 Jun - Arrive in Manila early am, take the KML bus to Banaue and find a place to stay.

02 Jun - Hike to Tappiya Falls

03 Jun - Head to the rice terraces for the day

04 Jun - Head back to Manila to catch a flight to Coron, or if unavailable, to El Nido

05 Jun - Dive at the ship wreck site(s)

06 Jun - 09 Jun - Head to El Nido for 4 days to trek/island hop/etc

10 Jun - 12 Jun - Hit Puerto Princesa for the underground river tour, and spend total of 3 days

13 Jun - Make it to Oslob to dive with Whale Sharks (Did not look at transport to here..)

14 Jun - 15 Jun - Head to Bohol for two days for the Chocolate hills, and Tarsiers

16 Jun - Make way back to Manila and fly back to Korea.

I know traveling during this time could be problematic, and although I'm hoping the rain will be minimal, I'm going to have a great time regardless so..I'm taking my chances. I did have a question about the best method of travel. Having heard about the Taxi's ripping you off, what is the best method to get around? And Random question I just thought of, If it is raining would a dive trip be cancelled there? I really appreciate your time. Thanks agian.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Critic my self made itinerary!

I am on mobile devices so I can't type much for now.

Your plan is a little aggressive I would say and I suggest you drop Coron or extend your stay in Coron.

As for diving, if there is no typhoon or the waves are still manageable, dive trip will continue.

When I was in Siargao and the typhoon is one day away from us, with moderate rain pouring, we continue to dive.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Critic my self made itinerary!

As for transport to Oslob, look at this article.

It will give you some ideas.

…wordpress.com/2013/…

Edited: 20 April 2014, 02:45
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,023 posts
2,061 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Critic my self made itinerary!

If you are travelling overnight ex Banaue on 3 June, it is realistic to catch a late morning or early afternoon flight to Coron. Prebook the flight on a site such as www.philippineairlines.com

Spend overnight in Metro Manila prior to flying to South Korea. www.asiatravel.com has many Makati or Ermita/ Manila Bay/ Malate hotels from which to choose. The Manila Hotel is one that is especially old world and enjoyable if your budget runs to it.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Critic my self made itinerary!

Best to prioritize four of the places mentioned bearing in mind that both Banaue and El Nido will be the longest trips. Depending on the four, it maybe possible to add a fifth but all six would make it a rushed trip which is not advisable.

El Nido can only be reached from Manila by an expensive charter flight and journeys to both Coron and Puerto Princesa are lengthy despite being part of the same province.

Ramstein-Miesenbach...
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Critic my self made itinerary!

Thank you for the helpful link! I did add Coron after the others due to the diving. I think I'll try to plan my route in more detail, and see if it is too much. I don't want to have to stress about getting to the next place instead of enjoying the ride.

Ramstein-Miesenbach...
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Critic my self made itinerary!

Thanks, that thought didn't occur to me. Can you sleep well enough on the overnight bus though?

Ramstein-Miesenbach...
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Critic my self made itinerary!

I'll have to look at transit times more closely, as I didn't expect the trip to Puerto Princesa to be that long. Thanks for your input!

And....it appears I am not replying to each specific post for some reason, but my posts are in sequence from the first replies i received. Thank you everyone!

london
Level Contributor
976 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Critic my self made itinerary!

Hi there

Thi is a very very busy itinerary. If you like diving then you as you know you won't be able to fly for 16 to 24 hours after you have left the water. I was in the Philippines in January when there was unseasonably bad weather....many ferries were cancelled for days on end because of the weather.The Philipino coastguard are very conservative.

For 16 days I would do either the Visayas , which I can confirm are fantastic or the Palawan area which I have not yet visited plus the area around Manila you mentioned. I met many people who loved Palawan , but the consensus was that the Visayas had better diving. The whalesharks by the way are fantastic and a truly once in a lifetime experience.

Have a wonderful time

Ramstein-Miesenbach...
Level Contributor
78 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Critic my self made itinerary!

I'm glad you posted this. I will be diving here in Korea this next month, getting my PADI certifications, and I actually was unaware of the rules when trying to fly (Although I may have read it and forgot). I'll reexamine my route along with the other input and maybe I will have to change some things up. Although, with ideal weather my current schedule, minus Coron, seems to be good for the times I plan on flying. Once I come to a conclusion I'll be sure to post the changes. Thanks again!

london
Level Contributor
976 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Critic my self made itinerary!

Wow , the Philippines will be an amazing post certification first trip. If the course goes well then I would just stick to the Visayas , which are perfect with beautiful coral and marine life. Diving is really sociable and the last thing you want is to rush on when you have just made friends.

Best wishes