We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec/Jan family adventure - Itinerary

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Topic
Dec/Jan family adventure - Itinerary

Hi Guys - needing some advise on our 30 day Philippines adventure.

We are a family of 4. Two boys 18 and 16 and we are keen to discover the natural beauty and culture of the Philippines. Travelling on the ZAR budget is a reality but happy to pay a few extra bucks for something worthwhile.

Here is our itinerary so far - what do you guys think?

The follwing flights have been booked and paid for;

We land in Manila and spend one night before flying to Coron. 17 days later we fly form Puerto Princesa to Cebu. 12 days later we fly home from Cebu.

here's what we have got planned in between

Two places below have been chosen to escape the December crowds for a bit.

1. Use Tao expeditions from Coron to El Nido ( blowing the buget but looks like a must do) would this replace the recommended island hopping in Coron or El Nido?

2 4 nights @Thelma and Toby's

3. Two nights @ Sabang to see the underground river ( Am i able to get a permit without going to PP?)

4. Any recommendations for how we could spend the extra 6 nights at the beginning, in the middle or end of these places?

5. Fly to Cebu and go straight to Alona Beach (Bohol) for 4 days.

6. Take a ferry to Siquijor for 4 days

7. Considering we want to be in Cebu the day before we leave we have three spare days - shall we extend our stay in Bohol or Siquijor or is there somewhere else we should consider?

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Regards

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,068 posts
2,067 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dec/Jan family adventure - Itinerary

This is a good itinerary because it is not too rushed.

Remember that travelling by surface modes in Philippines is slow: for instance, buses travel at an average speed of 35 kilometres an hour.

For your unused days, you could go to El Nido. There are other threads on how to get from Sabang to El Nido so I won't repeat it here:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294255-i8273-k…

When at Alona Beach, do the early start marine day tour one day (dolphins, snorkelling at Balicasag Island) one day and the Bohol land tour - look up 'Bohol attractions' on TA - on the other. It's a while since I did both but expect to pay about P2000 or a bit more for each. it's per boat or four wheel drive motor vehicle, so quite economical, but in both cases bring small Filipino notes (I suggest at least P2000 in small notes for each day, but you won't spend it all). Enjoy a fish lunch prepared by an islander family on Balicasag, buy some souvenir T shirts to support the local families while there are quite a few small entrance fees on the Bohol land tour. Don't miss the Baclayon (Catholic) Church - please donate as it was severley damaged in the earthquake and requires restoration, not an easy task. The butterfly sanctuary is not large but excellent, while insist on visiting the genuine tersier sanctuary near Corella town and not the so called 'Loboc River cages' that are cruel to these nocturnal creatures.

With your last stay, extend in Siquijor - it is my favourite island. Look up'Siquijor attractions' on TA as the range of unspoilt white sand beaches, the small mountain, Catholic churches and a couple of towns to explore will keep you occupied. If feasible, bring snorkelling gear although with a bit of luck you can probably hire.

Spend the night before your flight in Cebu City or on Mactan Island, Cebu. www.asiatravel.com has an excellent range of hotels that are keenly priced. Unlike its competitors, it has an office in Metro Manila.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 01:22
2. Re: Dec/Jan family adventure - Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 10:05
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dec/Jan family adventure - Itinerary

Hi there Victorianlad

Thanks so much for your time, effort and information. Will definately help with filling those extra days.

looking forward to hearing from other TA members.

makati
Level Contributor
63 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dec/Jan family adventure - Itinerary

If i have big money, i will take the tao expedition. However, if i am on limited budget, i can take the ordinary island tour packages for el nido.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
58 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dec/Jan family adventure - Itinerary

Your itinerary and Victorianlad's suggestions sound good to me. I can't really comment about Bohol because I haven't been there since the earthquake but have good memories of the chocolate hills, tarsiers, historical church visits and the beaches. Absolutely agree about the beauty of Siquijor and highly recommend snorkeling or scuba diving if you are certified. The night dive was fun with a lot of new species seen.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dec/Jan family adventure - Itinerary

Cheers Orangeboxer, you are 100% correct. It is expensive.

ayasg - We are not divers (but enjoy snorkeling ) , cant wait to explore Bohol and Siquijor. The boys and I are competent bikers , so we intend on discovering the islands this way.

Thanks once again for your time

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dec/Jan family adventure - Itinerary

Your plan looks good but remember you are travelling in the peak season. So book your accommodation early.

As for flights try to book them when there is a promo.

It will save you heaps.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dec/Jan family adventure - Itinerary

Thanks MH,

As we said , our air tickets are booked and paid for. We got some great deals. As for the accommodation, we are in the process of booking.

Thanks for your input

9. Re: Dec/Jan family adventure - Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 05:16