We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

Hey all,

There are so many beaches to choose from it's hard to choose the right one.

I am looking for a beach side accommodation where we can stay for between 5 and 7 nights which has basic water activities, kayaking, snorkelling, swimming. Somewhere which is within walking distance to town which has a few places to eat and drink and which may have some nice sightseeing around the area. I would like the place to be reasonable quiet when we are at the accommodation, so not an overly party atmosphere like Boracay but also is not a sleepy village.

I don't mind staying 1 place for 7 nights if it has everything or staying at 2 places which are close enough (don't have to take a flight to get to) for 4-5 nights each, the latter option is probably preferred.

Accommodation wise, it doesn't need to be too flash, 3* are fine, 2* I will consider if it's part of the overall charm of the place I am going to. Cost wise, would like to spend less than $170USD a night, obviously the cheaper the better.

Thanks heaps for helping me narrow down my options!

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

Can't recommend a place to suit all your needs but these are the few I woukd recommend.

Siquijor, Dauin and Alona.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,847 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

Panglao comes first to mind, particularly Alona.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,667 posts
1,577 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

Alona Beach Bohol.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,780 posts
1,978 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

I too would suggest that the closest fit is Alona Beach, Panglao Island.

Fly from Manila to Tagbiliran City with either Philippine Airlines (recommended) or Cebu Pacific. The islands of Bohol and Panglao are connected by two causeways. The unofficial taxi trip from the airport will take around half an hour at a cost of P500.

Look up 'Bohol attractions', 'Balicasag Island' and 'Panglao Island' on TA.

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

Amazing thanks for the suggestion, seems everyone is suggesting Alona.

Any recommendation on which places to stay at which would be able to accommodation for being close to the beach for water activities as well as being walking distance from restaurants?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,780 posts
1,978 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

We do not know your budget or other preferences, but Lost Horizon (provided you have one of the better rooms, not the most basic) is fine and not overpriced. Have a look at www.asiatravel.com that has many other choices:

book.asiatravel.com/hotellist.aspx…

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

Hi Victorianlad,

Budget and preferences are (ordered in importance);

1. Don't want to spend more than 170USD pn

2. Is close to, preferably on a, beach (couple minute walk ok)

2. Has access to water activity equipment (kayaks, snorkels primarily)

3. Walking distance to restaurants other then the hotels (within 2km)

4. Has the ability to arrange tours to some of the sights

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,780 posts
1,978 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

Lost Horizon fulfils all of the first four. You will be spending far less than US$170 a day at most accommodation options. Again, look up www.asiatravel.com

There is a booking agency about 150 metres away near the beach that can do the last, but there are so many touts you will end up booking through one of them.

Tours include the early start (0500 to 0530) dolphins and snorkelling tour to Balicasag Island, along with the suggested 0830 start land day tour to Bohol. With the latter, insist on the genuine tarsier sanctuary near Corella town being your first stop.

On the island tour, bring extra money as islanders will cook a delicious fish lunch for you. The ladies also want to sell T shirts.

On the land day tour, there are extra fees payable at attractions.

A boat and car for the day (with crew and driver respectively) costs a pretty reasonable P2500 or thereabouts nowadays.

Edited: 03 May 2014, 02:39
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,729 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

For Alona,

1. Don't want to spend more than 170USD pn - Can be done in Alona. There are accommodatons in ALona from P1200 to P5000 or more.

2. Is close to, preferably on a, beach (couple minute walk ok) - Hotels in Alona is near to the beach.

2. Has access to water activity equipment (kayaks, snorkels primarily) - Limited or non-existence in Alona. Day trip to Balicasag Island will be better.

3. Walking distance to restaurants other then the hotels (within 2km) - Restaurants are by the beach.

4. Has the ability to arrange tours to some of the sights - Can be done easily.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,780 posts
1,978 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help recommending a beach between party and sleepy village

In the above, I should run a correction: I do not know if Lost Horizon has kayaks or snorkel sets but these should be available fairly easily at Alona Beach. It's all in quite a compact area.