We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety tips for solo female traveler to the Philippines

2 posts
Save Topic
Safety tips for solo female traveler to the Philippines

Hello!

I'm due to travel to Manila pretty soon. I've been reading up here & there but I've been told by a few people that they wouldn't recommend solo traveling in Manila. I'm deciding where to stay- Makati or Malate? I read the former is safer but more upscale and the latter have some dodgy areas. I'll be looking for a hostel and I'm not sure if this is relevant but would I be treated any differently because of my ethnicity? I'm south east Asian and fairly light skinned. I want to know that I won't be attracting too much attention, unwanted or otherwise.

Mentioned in this post
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Coast
Coast
#1 of 152 hotels in Boracay
Acqua Dive
Acqua Dive
#1 of 3 hotels in Zamboanguita
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety tips for solo female traveler to the Philippines

Why not start with Top Questions about the Philippines - Is the Philippines Safe for a Solo Female Traveler?

What is your purpose in coming here? If it is History, then forget Makati. There is only an 80Year old Airfield Control Tower when it was Neilson Field and the Church in Guadalupe. You also pay premium prices and regardless of peoples opinons, it is no safer than Malate acording to Police Statistics.

Malate is is close to historic areas and has a long tradition of good eating places at sensible prices. The undesirable parts of Malate such as Dakota have nothing for tourists anyway.

There are plenty of low cost places to stay.

Filipinos are mostly color blind except for Caucasians who can expect to be overcharged. As an Asian, you will not meet that problem. You will not attract attention, wanted or unwanted!

Mentioned in this post
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety tips for solo female traveler to the Philippines

Purpose of your stay and duration? I will suggest Makati since your main concern is safety - but may also be dependent on where you will be staying. As with any new place - don't be too trusting, be observant, watch your things and dont stay out too late. Just act natural as much as possible - so as not to call attention you're here as a visitor.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety tips for solo female traveler to the Philippines

One advice.

Do not do the things that you will not do at home.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,333 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety tips for solo female traveler to the Philippines

@ Mas

In addition to what has rightly been said above,

1) Stay in Makati - it is a nicer and cleaner part. Malate is old Manila, and tends to be dirty and unsavoury comparatively

2) Philippines is generally a safe place for solo lady travellers.

3) Ethnicity - you will look similar to most Filipinas - so expect to be treated like a local. This is good. Philippines is a big mixture of races due to intermixing and many Filipinos look American / Japanese / Malay (Malay is anyway the main stock) and add every other race....

Filipinos are generally mild and gentle natured, and fun loving people.

Have a great time.

There are a few blogs already mentioned in this forum written by ladies travellign solo - do have a look at them.

Mentioned in this post
Makati
Makati
Luzon, Philippines
Manila
Manila
Luzon, Philippines
Malay
Malay
Panay Island, Philippines
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety tips for solo female traveler to the Philippines

Just a really short backpacking trip like a week. I'm planning a trip to Palawan though so I won't be staying in the city too long.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice :) Now I have a better idea to where I should stay.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 18:27
Mentioned in this post
Palawan Island
Palawan Island
Palawan Province, Philippines
6. Re: Safety tips for solo female traveler to the Philippines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:17