We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philippines Low Season 18 Days

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Philippines Low Season 18 Days

Hi,

I am only just getting around to planning my summer vacation to the Philippines. I don't have a lot of background knowledge about holidaying there. I will be flying into Manila from my home in Korea on Sat July 26th and returning on Tues 12th August (about 17 days). I know this will be rainy season but it can't be helped.

I am traveling with my wife. We are in our mid-20s.

We like to keep to a budget (cheap hotels etc) but don't mind spending a bit for things that are worth it (impressive sights, good food etc).

Our main interests for visiting the Philippines are:

Cultural- particularly Catholic churches and WW2 history as well as general history.

Food- We want to sample as much food as possible (spicy is more than fine with both of us!)

Activities- Hiking is our main pastime but we wouldn't mind doing some other leisurely outdoors stuff such as relaxed kayaking (no whitewater etc!) or bike riding. Snorkelling and diving are no-no's!

We dislikes clubs, partying etc (a nice drink here and there is a must though!) and I am not a fan of group tours since I prefer the freedom we get by ourselves.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have!

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Philippines Low Season 18 Days

Malate would be best for you to stay. Robinsons Mall has plenty of restaurants and Malate itself has been the birthplace of restaurant chains and still has good eating places.

Intramuros is a must for you and I am sure you will also enjoy a tour of Corrigedor. also.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Philippines Low Season 18 Days

Thanks for such a quick reply! Looks really useful. I'll have a more detailed look at the recommendations when I get off work tonight.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,374 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Philippines Low Season 18 Days

I would think Makati would be best suited for your needs and for me, if feels safer to walk the streets there at night. There is no loss of places to stay and eat and you can walk with no feel of danger or people hitting you up for cash (most of the time :-))

In any case, with your likes I would head out of Manila as soon as possible. Tagatay is one option.

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Philippines Low Season 18 Days

No point in staying in Makati, there is no history there except Neilson Field Control Tower. Also, prices are higher in Makati.

Malate is close to Inramuros where there is Manila Cathedral and St Agustins Church.

It is also a short ride to the ferry to Corrigidor which is a must see for you.

Malate is famous for it's restaurants and as you are on a budget, it will be a benefit.

Tagaytay is nice to visit and you may consider a visit to Bataan and Pampanga to view the Death March memorials.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Philippines Low Season 18 Days

cebu city is another good location for history, culture & cuisine. cebu is where magellan first arrived in the philippines, and where he died, and where filipinos first adopted catholicism. you can visit magellan's cross, fort san pedro & the basilica santo nino. there are many good restaurants in cebu city to dine at

the neigbouring island of bohol also has many spanish era churches, but some of the oldest of them suffered damage during an earthquake last year. it is also has some other historical sites and also some prehistorical sites such as ancient burial caves near anda

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Philippines Low Season 18 Days

get out of the cities as soon as you can - the islands are more relaxed and cooler and hiking through the Manila traffic is not much fun. If you have to spend time in mNILA THEN day trip to Corregedor islnd and a wander round Intramuros plus nearby church is OK. The rice teraces are OK but it is rainy season so be prepared to get soaked I think Cagayan D'Or is a good or El Nido for sea kyaking - fly to Puerto Princessa then 6 hours.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Philippines Low Season 18 Days

co sign on Cebu as well.

From cebu you can island hop to Bohol and surrounding islands.

18 days is very long to stay just in Manila.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Philippines Low Season 18 Days

Well, it is between Manila and Cebu I would say.

The reason I suggest Manila is for trekking in Mount Pinatubo if it intrest you. Intramuros and Corrigedor is nice. For Intramuros, try to join Carlos Celdran tour.

Corrigedor island, even without the histroy tour, the island is good to walk around.

Else the Visayas region will make more sense.

You can bisit Bohol, Panglao and even do the circle loop of Cebu - Bohol/Panglao, Siquijor and Dumaguete.

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Philippines Low Season 18 Days

It will be rainy season mh - pinatubo will be off limits. mousehunt is right - visayas is better if the weather is poor in Manila.

In the rainy season, it doesn't rain every day and rarely does it rain all day unless there is a typhoon.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Philippines Low Season 18 Days

Ah.... July and August. Yes, my bad.

Not a good time to do trekking at Pinatubo.

Since it is the rainy season, have some buffer between transfer as flight and ferry may get delayed or cancelled.