We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philipines vs Indonesia price comparison

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Philipines vs Indonesia price comparison

Hello all!

My gf and I are thinking about a three week vacation in November 2014. We are interested in some city life and diving. If we go to Indonesia, we'd probably go to Komodo and if we go to the Philipines, we are thinking Malapascua and Apo islands.

We are not interested in super hotels or resorts, but more of a low key, if possible "local" kind of life.

Any thoughts on what would be more interesting? Money is a consideration, but all I've read so far, it doesn't look like either place would cost dramatically more.

We only have 3 weeks so we'd like to make it as special as possible.

Thanks everyone!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Philipines vs Indonesia price comparison

Good morning everyone.

Again, thank you for all the replies. Very helpful!

@YouOnlyLiveOnce:

I understood that there'd be thresher sharks in Malapascua, though I thought there'd be other interesting stuff to see there. Any suggestions as of to what might offer more diversity?

Apo sounds great, SPECIALLY without electricity. We already did this once at a beach in Uruguay and really enjoyed it.

Thanks again! Have a good week, everyone!

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Philipines vs Indonesia price comparison

@ Kuuchen

In that case, yes - you WILL enjoy Apo island! Schedule a long stay there :)

As for Malapascua, most of the coral during my visit (2013) was bleached (yuck!), and there was very little marine life / fish. The only spot with a little decent snorkelling (comparable to standard snorkelling in nearly any place in the Phils - nothing special) was Guinbitayan on the northern tip of Malapascua.

Snorkeling + diving in all other places around Malapascua was terrible as far as marine life goes, including the Japanese wrecks.

So yes - other than thresher sharks, not much to look forward to here.

But as far as the beach at Malapascua goes, it was amazingly beautiful, and the resorts / restaurants along the beach were very good in quality and variety.

Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
43 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Philipines vs Indonesia price comparison

Sole2 -- YouLiveOnlyOnce wrote that U know re Apo Island.

I have decided to go there (in a cple days) rather than Boracay.

given the temp+humidity, and no electr >10pm.... where would U rec to stay?

I tend toward "budget" lodging, tho usually go AC, which is nonexistent @ night...

Thanks for any + all replies *J*

Chandra .. now @ Alona Bch

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Philipines vs Indonesia price comparison

Hi Chandra! Havent checked this thread. Didnt see what YLOO wrote. I would recommend Mario's, upstairs bedroom and pray there would be breeze. It is pretty basic but big room. He is also a dive instructor.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Philipines vs Indonesia price comparison

Just back from Malapascua and diving is very good. I agree that you should not expect big fish (which is much better in Komodo) but the Macro diving is Superb. Lots of soft Coral, Nudibranches, Mandarin fish, Seahorses, Porcelin crabs, flamboyant cuttlefish, Harlequin shrimp, etc, etc, etc. The tresher shark diving is out of this world. Snorkeling on Malapascua is not good though.

If you like huge amounts of hard coral and good snorkelling than Apo is amazing.

The Beach on Malapascua is good, Apo is so-so.

You can easily do both in 3 weeks. And if you like the Macro diving than Dauin is another option. The dive centers will probably do tripas to Apo (for 3 tank dives) several times a week.

City live would be for another trip I guess ;-)

16. Re: Philipines vs Indonesia price comparison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:15