We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
1,970 reviews
Save Topic
Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

Foreign visitation to Philippines has risen by a small 2.85 per cent between January and April 2014 compared with the same months in 2013.

The Department of Tourism has not published separate March 2014 figures but the April 2014 statistics indicate that visitors from mainland China dropped 7.75 per cent and the very important South Korean market declined 5.3 per cent, while Taiwanese visitors continued to fall away due to the political spat, down 33.7 per cent comparing Aprils 2014 and 2013.

There are some continuing bright spots. The UK is up 29.9 per cent, perhaps helped by Philippine Airlines five times a week nonstop flights from London Heathrow to Manila (please support it), while Malaysian tourists rose 29.1 per cent, Canadian visitors 15.1 per cent, Australia 12.8 per cent and in a most encouraging sign, USA visitors up 12.6 per cent. *.2 per cent more visitors arrived from Hong Kong which is pelasing.

This small rise shows that when 'mainland China and especially South Korea get a cold, Philippines suffers' to coin a far too long phrase.

Nonetheless it is creditable that overall visitor numbers are still rising. I suspect that Australians may spend more on a visit than mainland Chinese.

The South Korean decline may be due to the state of its economy. Visitors from South Korea had increased rapidly, a trend which is unlikely to continue forever as there must be a natural plateau:

e-services.tourism.gov.ph:8080/didcs/Static%…

Edited: 26 June 2014, 14:25
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,387 posts
1,558 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

I think the lower increases may still be the "fallout" affect of Typhoon Yolanda. Cancellations etc.

I was surprised at how quiet Boracay was last December after the Typhoon and I found it a great time to travel there and I saw very little damage along White Beach.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
1,970 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

The message needs to be loud and clear that apart from Tacloban, Leyte Island (into which flights have again been operating for months) and perhaps parts of Eastern Samar, Philippines' towns, cities and beaches are well and truly 'open for business.'

In months like July and September, I have experienced beautiful weather in General Santos City and Glan (southern Mindanao) and the central Visayas. It isn't guaranteed but often conditions can be like this.

The nations that recorded a drop in tourism to Philippines in the last couple of months are those in which many who travel are part of group tours. However Westerners (Australians, Brits, Canadians and USA residents) largely travel independently and seem to have the message in 2014 that Philippines is a great place to holiday.

Edited: 28 June 2014, 01:57
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,735 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

I think 3% is a decent increase. Now that Hong Kong lifted the travel ban alert we expect an increase in contribution by Hong Kong residents. Cebu Pacific will mount flights to new destinations and it will significantly contribute to more foreign tourist arrivals as budget travelers in the Middle East and Australia would now have a reason to visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
1,970 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

kegler747, unfortunately this article indicates that travel agents in Hong Kong still have some reluctance to send tourists en masse to Philippines:

www.ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=23360

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,735 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

Reluctance? Everybody is reluctant as they think the Philippines is "a little unsafe."

Edited: 28 June 2014, 14:28
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

disappointed but still hopeful..that this is just a minor bump..and will give our airports and infrastructure time to catch up...onwards to 10 million...

uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

Everyone from the UK knows and travels in their masses to SAE (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam etc) but iv hardly heard anyone mention going to the Philippines, partly as these other countries invest a LOT in advertising their tourism and making it easy for tourists to travel within, then word of mouth does the rest.

I am planning a trip for this yr and looking for flights they seem quite expensive (unless you have long stopovers 25hrs+) and the direct London-Manila flight with Philippines airways is £800 (off season!), whereas thailand you can fly direct for £500 and £400 with Emirates.

However as people start to get bored of Thailand and the Philippines gets rid of its image of crime, thypoons and invests in infrastructure I'm sure this will start to change

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

I fail to see why anyone would sit in a tin tube for 12 hours at a cost of GBP800 (PAL), when Singapore Airlines, with the benefit of a stop in Changi, only costs GBP560.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

@Victorianlad - there is an interesting comparison regarding tourists from Taiwan. Checking the figures for Sabah (Jan - Apr 2014), just like the Philippines, Sabah registered a drop - 39% , but no political reason. Perhaps feeling of "unsafe".

But tourists from China increased by 48%, and interestingly (no doubt thanks to Sabah's proximity to the Philippines), the number of Filipino tourists increased by 21%.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,580 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inbound tourism's 2.85 per cent rise: Jan. - April 2014

@ Kesh

May be it is because many of the foreigners who come to the Phils like it so much that they stay back... for years :) - so there is no one left to return to that country and tell the others how neautiful, safe and easy to reach the beaches of Phils are! ;-)

Hope many more people come to this beautiful country.