We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Stay

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Short Stay

Been given short notice holidays in first week of September and wanting to get away from the cold of Sydney,and thought of Philipines.Is it worth going for only 4-5 days,like to see some of Manila,but preferably like to head to Bohol and see the tarsiers and chocolate hills etc.What would be the best options of getting around and tours etc?Cheers

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Stay

You only have 4-5 days for a winter break. I'd head straight to Bohol. Manila is ok, but it's just another big city.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 14:34
Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Stay

It depends what your interests are. If you like history and Philippine culture, you could easily spend all 5 days in Manila.

Look at the top questions on the right hand side of this page.

If just Bohol, fly to Cebu and arrange travel from there, either fly to Tagbiliran or take a ferry.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,366 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Stay

We used Bohol Travel Buddy who can organise all your transportation, tour and island hopping needs. Reliable company.

Their details as well as other recommended drivers guides etc are listed in the FAQslisted to the right-------->

<<FAQ: Transport Company, Guide and Drivers>>

I would spend 1 day doing the countryside tour, another for island hopping and spend the first and last days in Manila where you could see Intramuros etc.

Tommo

Edited: 11 July 2014, 23:26
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Stay

I agree, head straight to Bohol.

Why do you only have 4 to 5 days. Don't you get 4 weeks like every one else?

The list of tripadvisor recommended drivers is here. Scroll down the page for Bohol. I personally have used Albert Odtohan for my last 4 visits to Bohol. I have found him to be very reliable, knowledgeable and able to communicate easily with my Australian accent.

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g294245-c188959/Ph…

If you can ride a motorbike, you can tour yourself around. Here is a cheap hotel, motorbike deal.

http://hopehomes-danao.com/index.php/en/

Room and motorbike combined from less than aud $20 per night. I stayed here in September last year, if you want to know more.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,374 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Stay

put on your running shoes as that is not much time,especially when you consider the weather in September

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Stay

Thanks for some insight.Basically I only have the 2 weeks short notice,as id recently returned after a long illness and work does not like saving holidays thus the 2 weeks.I am headed to Melbourne the week before for a couple of AFL games and a wedding,so why only the 1 week.Will look into a few things,have saved a package with flights and hotel on Cebu,so is it hard to head over to see tarsiers etc?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,366 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Stay

From Cebu just get the fast ferry to Bohol which only takes a few hours.Ocean Jet are one ferry operator you could use.

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,303 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short Stay

The Philippines is worth your time whether 2 or 200 days.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short Stay

,have saved a package with flights and hotel on Cebu,so is it hard to head over to see tarsiers etc?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Cebu City, you can do a day tour of the major attractions on Bohol

The first trip on the OceanJet in the morning is 6am. Arriving 8am. Then you have to be back at the pier by 6pm for the last OceanJet trip at 6.30pm

oceanjet.net/fare-and-schedule/cebu-tagbilar…

The first trip on the Supercat is 6.30am, arriving 8.30am. The you have to be at the pier by 5.15pm for their last boat of the day departing 5.45pm.

Supercat is my favourite and who I would use. Check the Island skip trip section. They are offering a full day tour for P2850, including lunch and the boat trip to and from Bohol

http://supercat.ph/

However, where will you be staying?

Whether or not you can do a day tour from Cebu City depends on where in Cebu you will be be. The province of Cebu consist of 168 islands. Which island will you be on? The main island of Cebu itself is 225km long. So, if you are no where near Cebu City, it might be a day trip just to go there.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
5,858 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short Stay

@ Big Rockin guy

1) It is terribly easy to reach Bohol from Cebu - just take a ferry to Tagbilaran. This is what the ferry looks like - …blogspot.com/2013/02/bohol-adventure.html - easy to book over the counter. If I were you, I would arrive at the port in the morning. There are 7 ferries daily.

See the ferry schedule here -

angkulet.com/2013/…

2) Touring around is easy - just hire a cab for the day (costs 1500-2000 pesos) - and tell the cab driver of the places you wish to see (most cab drivers have a laminated sheet with pre-planned tours which cover most of the worth-watching places).

You can arrange the cab from your resort itself - not much difference in cost, but reserving through the resort gives you flexibility and improves the cabbie's reliability.

3) My suggestion? Do a day tour on one day by cab, and you can do it another day by trike (the latter is cheaper, but slower, but also an interesting tourist experience)

4) For the tarsier - specifiy that you wish to go to the Corella sanctuary (there are at least 20 other shops which call themselves tarsier sanctuary - but actually keep a few captive tarsiers... sad) - this is the corella sanctuary - tarsierfoundation.org/news/the-tarsier-sanct…

5) Alona beach is choc a bloc with lots of resorts - and is THE place where you should stay. Convenient. See this map for a lsit of resorts - boholbikers.com/undergroup%20pages/map/map%2…

6) Most resorts maintain a better facebook page than a website. The former also has more photos.

Have a great time :)