We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tigerair price hike in April

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Tigerair price hike in April

I've been waiting for Tigerair to make flights from Kalibo to Singapore in early April 2015 available for booking. I was staggered to find that, on checking this today, the price for April flights is around four times the price of the March flights. Does this seem right? Other airlines that offer this route with a connecting flight in Cebu or Manila are a fraction of this price, which now seems the more likely option.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
1,974 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tigerair price hike in April

Good Friday in 2015 is Friday 3 April.

Holy Week (bearing in mind that more than 80 per cent of Filipinos are Catholic) is a very busy time; it is then summer holidays. The peak fares do not surprise.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tigerair price hike in April

I can appreciate that there might be an increase but, for a budget airline, I wasn't expecting the price to quadruple when other airlines are much, much cheaper for the same journey on the same dates, albeit with a connection involved. Looks like my idea of flying direct from Kalibo to Singapore has well and truly gone down the pan.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,767 posts
1,974 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tigerair price hike in April

Perhaps groups have already booked or lots of couples. I agree: 4x the expected fare is extremely steep.

4. Re: Tigerair price hike in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 00:58
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tigerair price hike in April

The cheapest journey I made on a low cost airline was an all inclusive ticket for two English pence ( 1.60 pesos / 3 US cents including taxes.

I can make the same journey on the same airline tomorrow for £240 return - the journey is the same distance as Manila to Kalibo.

If I wait till next week its £80 return and on some days after a month or so its down to £40 return. The nature of low cost airlines is that prices go up and down depending on demand whereas scheduled airlines tend to have an average cost more than low cost but with less variation.

As explained April is peak season.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tigerair price hike in April

As a fairly frequent traveller that uses budget airlines I do take on board the volatile nature of their pricing, but to see the cost of a flight quadrupled for a journey seven days later is unprecedented for me, and it isn't even a public holiday (I'm travelling on April 1st). I could perhaps even understand it if they had the exclusivity of there being no alternative, but there is and I've booked it.

I've lost the convenience of a direct flight, will now have to travel via Cebu and will get to Singapore late at night, but it has cost around a third of what the Tigerair flight would have cost.

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tigerair price hike in April

Yes, just to confirm how the pricing works here - flights from Manila to Puerto Princesa vary between just over P1000 to over P6000 (one way) depending on season.

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
554 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tigerair price hike in April

1st week april 2015 is holy week. one will be lucky to get promo tickets to places like boracay.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tigerair price hike in April

Busbar - Good Friday is the 3rd of April. The school summer holidays start on 29th March ( summer in the Philippines is April and back to school at the end of May) Starting the 28th March (in the UK is known as Whit Sunday) for a week known in the Philippines as Holy Week for the 90% catholics and the others who go along for the ride this is the most important time in the whole year to travel. In the UK Christmas and Easter fall out of the main tourist seasons - that starts today with school holidays starting in the UK. In the Philippines the summer coincides with the biggest religious holiday and it all kicks off at the end of March. Anybody with the financial resources to get away do so, the bus terminals are crowded, the roads out of Manila are like the roads to Cornwall at UK bank holidays and its the same with flights.

If you want a one way flight from Manchester to Alicante next week it can cost you £185 compared to £40 out of season.

In the Philippines it is all rolled into one week, the resorts are crowded, in Puerto people are sleeping on the beach and then when its all over everything quietens down for the rest of the year. Western visitors come for a few months but for them April is out of season, Koreans extend a bit into April but for Filipinos its New Years Eve and Easter and the week leading up to it .

Edited: 19 July 2014, 09:20
10. Re: Tigerair price hike in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:16