We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

I just got a text saying

PAL on sale ends 31 July 2014

Prices from aud $744 Melbourne - Manila return airfares with taxes.

No travel; dates were mentioned.

I rang and forgot to ask about the actual travel dates but it certainly applies to the middle of November.

The rate for Sydney is $760 return.

Seems like a VERY good deal to me.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

I agree. This is an excellent fare particularly given that PAL not only flies nonstop to Manila three days a week from Melbourne and four days a week (from October 26, daily) from Sydney and unlike Cebu Pacific, PAL is a full service airline (although its Airbus planes lack to seat entertainment which is annoying).

PAL's punctuality is generally quite good: a couple of recent Melbourne - Manila flights have run two hours late but that was due to typhoon warnings. The staff on PAL are also more pleasant than those on struggling Australian airline QANTAS.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,087 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

@ Big Jim

On Pals website fares are selling from : July 21 – 25, 2014

Travel period : October 1 – November 30, 2014

Manila -Sydney USD $756

Manila -Melbourne USD $742

They are great fares and will be hard to beat. I did dummy bookings with Cebu Pacific flights from Sydney to Manila and they were about the same price but PAL would be more preferred.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

As with almost all legacy airlines (the cheapest fares with Air NZ can be an exception), PAL's fares include a luggage allowance of at least 23 kilograms in the hold.

Cebu Pacific's do not, as with all low cost carriers. One has to be really careful that the 'add ons' with low cost airlines such as AirAsiaX do not ramp the total fare up to what the legacy carriers charge, yet the latter often have a bit more legroom, sometimes have personal entertainment and always have included meals and (sensibly) unlimited drinks including alcohol (Royal Brunei is a rare airline in that it refuses to serve alcohol: the only one ex Australia that I know, although cabin crew will mix a miniature of spirits that the passenger brings on).

I find when flying nonstop from Melbourne to Manila or return with Philippine Airlines that it's far less tiring than having to change planes in Sydney, Singapore, BSB (Brunei), Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur or elsewhere with other competing airlines.

Edited: 23 July 2014, 11:21
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

i m booked 2 weeks in febuary on the $750 aus flight to manilla out of sydney

also booked a direc tflight sydney to manilla november for 2 weeks cebu pacific $149 there $90 return total $239 australian on a 3 day sale

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

Is the price for Cebu Pacific carry on luggage only and no meals?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,087 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

@BigJim yes it is. Baggage was included.

So PAL would be the better choice as you get meals drinks and a more comfortable plane.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

Importantly. PAL offers a greater pitch (between seats) than Cebu Pacific. I agree with tommomelbourne that overall, PAL offers a more comfortable travelling experience than Cebu Pacific for any flight over three hours. Many of us can put up with the discomfort of tight pitch for shorter duration flights, but on a seven or eight hour flight one cannot spend half the flight standing to try to avoid knees being jammed in against the back of the seat reclined in front of you.

However I'd choose both over Qantas due to the latter's snooty staff. That may be a generalisation but I've encountered enough of them to experience how they are 'superior' to paying passengers.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 10:29
Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

Very attractive prices...☺

canberra
Level Contributor
328 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

Because we fly from Sydney we invariably use Qantas. Indeed we have just booked our flights for November and used our frequent flier points and got two return tickets, in November and out February for less than $1000 in total.

Qantas have always been highly professional and their in flight entertainment is as good as it gets. Always attendants have been polite and curteous and never refused any request.

Not sure if you are on a retainer from PAL VL but the amount of times you build them up often makes me wonder?

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Latest promo deal on PAL from Melbourne or Sydney to Manila

Not sure if you are on a retainer from PAL VL but the amount of times you build them up often makes me wonder?

------------------------------

I have flown PAL, Qantas, Malaysian Airlines and Singapore Airlines to get to Cebu via somewhere..

PAL gets me to Cebu the quickest. The planes have in flight entertainment, food that I eat and I have always been very happy with the stewards/stewardesses.

I have never been happy with Qantas.