We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,087 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Topic
Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

Well the time is near again to have our Annual Tripadvisor Meet. This will be the fourth one and I hope we can continue to keep on this tradition every year. Ive made some great friends from these meets. This timely advice will allow members to make their travel plans in advance. Whilst in Cebu its a great opportunity to visit fantastic places like Malapascua, Camotes, Nalusuan Resort and more. This is what I am doing :)

This year its the turn of CEBU for a different meet location and an opportunity for their local based members to attend. And any members that haven't attended a meet before are welcome to attend as we usually have a great night sharing travel stories enjoying a meal and having a great laugh. The last few years we have had the same bunch of regulars attend.

Anyone interested in attending please respond to this thread or send me a pm. All welcome.

The plan is that we will be dining at Lantaw Restaurant Cordova this year. I was fortunate enough to have dined there last year with one of our Cebu members and it is a lovely spot with great seafood but it is about a 1 hour drive from Cebu City. The place can be a little hard to find. Getting to the location is not a problem though as depending on numbers we can shuttle members to the restaurant from Cebu City.

Fortunately member Al22tecc will be providing seafood fresh from his farm such as live shrimp and of course we couldnt go to Cebu without having their famous Lechon. The Lechon I tried there last year was the best Ive ever tried. Depending on numbers this is the wishlist together with Kilawin, Bangus and more. Costing and menu will depend on numbers attending. Luckily the restaurant will allow us to bring the seafood and cook it for us and to bring in the Lechon.

Here are the reviews of Lantaw:

tripadvisor.com.au/…REVIEWS

Copy and paste this link for more pictures of Lantaw:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=lantaw+floating+native+restaurant&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BgneU62CA4248gWxzIAw&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1745&bih=896

Their sister restaurant Lantaw 2 Busay is in the mountains and was also considered as the venue. Both have fantastic ambiance. One is located on the ocean the other in the mountains and both have superb Cebu City views. Either can be the location of the meet but unless there is a greater preference for the mountain venue it will be the ocean venue.

For anyone interested I have been able to secure a price of P5175 nett including breakfast for 2 in the Radisson Blu Hotel Cebu through an agency. This price is a great saving. Obviously there are cheaper options but for those wishing to try the current No 1 ranked hotel on Tripadvisor for Cebu this is a great opportunity at reduced prices.

I currently have interest from a locally based developer of a "new" and environmentally sustainable local resort to attend our meet as a guest. Ill keep you posted as each meet we love to invite guests from the tourist industry to have a chat with us.

See you all soon :)

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,087 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

@Tetreg & Barbikyu will be great to meet you.

Closer to the meet date and when we have a better idea of numbers we will advise of the per person cost to cover the cost of the seafood lechon etc.

Shaping up to be another great night.

Tommo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,087 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

Ive asked TA Mike to include this thread as a "sticky" on the top of the page. This means it will always remain as the first topic on the first page. TA Mike said that this should be added today or tommorrow.

This way members wont miss the promotion of this event!

Tommo

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

Is this meet open to any TA member or is it just a get together for "Destination Experts"

Sounds pretty interesting :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,087 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

Let me reiterate that the meet is open for all to attend.

This is our fourth meet and the previous 3 were great events where we had many laughs, a few drinks and nice meals at each different venue. Each time we have a few more different members attend and its a pleasure to actually meet some of the contibutors face to face.

If you have a PM function ;) hit that and respond to me or reply on this thread if you would love to attend.

There is also a guest attending who is involved in an exciting development in the area. Find out on the night who that is.

Im looking forward to the event and seeing you all again. Seafood and Lechon sarup sarup!

Tommo

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
605 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

Open to all, which means regular TA members, destination experts, and destination expert wannabees. For those interested to join and interested to see who's joining, please read through the entire thread.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,135 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

One other thing to mention is that each time we have had either one or two special guests as tommomelbourne indicates above.

The evening has still been very casual but I hope I speak for all attendees who have found it a fun evening, with fellow contributors who are trying to sensibly promote Philippines' many travell and tourism experiences, while not exaggerating the good points.

Let's not also forget the TA staff based in Boston, USA. Together with the founder, they are the ones who keep the site running smoothly, make the all important corrections to incorrect information that gets posted for the locations of hotels, restaurants and tourist attractions, and ban or suspend the very small minority who do not abide by the TA rules.

It's been delightful to meet some of the many contributors who in their own way by sensibly promoting Philippines tourism are helping to put food on the table for more of the 100 million people who make up the land of 7107 islands' population.

It is especially important that the areas of Philippines such as Visayas and Mindanao that are away from Metro Manila are not forgotten - as they have so much to offer travellers - so this first TA dinner away from Metro Manila is recognition by frequent contributors that TA isn't just about tourism and travel in or to capital cities.

One very pleasing indication of the health of teh TA Philippines reviews is that unlike parts of teh Vietnam forum, there seems to be a relative lack of manipulation of the site - 'gaming' by 'false' reviewers who are trying to boost an hotel's TA ranking. The eagle eyes of TA members such as bryantpark88, mousehunt and tommomelbourne see to that.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 04:07
57. Re: Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 23:35
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,135 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

Big_Jim_Leyte, as always, you have the best of intentions.

However it is really appropriate that you have a separate thread for your 'other' meeting, as the official TA dinner is in early January 2015 as TA member and voluntary Destination Expert tommomelbourne has arranged.

Let's confine the discussion to the official January 2015 dinner, please.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

I will make another thread later but i want to make it plain to people reading this thread that there is another alternative.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Annual Tripadvisor Meet Saturday 3rd January 2015 CEBU!

Cebu Pacific has a P 1.00 sale today just in case. Got at least one-way at P 1.00. So I'm set :-) Hope MH sees this, there's still a flight available one-way SIN-MNL for P 1.00.