We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling the Philippines for 6 weeks- need some direction

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling the Philippines for 6 weeks- need some direction

Hi, I am a 28 year old female, Travelling to Philippines arriving in Manila on 17th Decemeber and looking for a bit of direction please.

I was Planning on doing 4 days in Manila and flying to Kalibo on 21st to get the boat accross to Borocay - i will probably return to manila to fly to my next destination, (to be decided)

My Sister would like to come and meet me for Christmas and New years Eve, so i need to decide Prior to arrival where to spend these occasions.

Is there anything to do in Kalibo? am i Missing things along the way if i fly?

where could we spend New years eve? as i dont want to spend too long in one place?

I travel with an open mind, and my peoples recommendation, and would really like to just get an idea from people that have visited there!

HELP!!!!!

Many thanks :)

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling the Philippines for 6 weeks- need some direction

For New Year, I suggest Boracay. So you may want to go other places first.

Maybe Bohol? It has many activities like diving, island hopping with dolphin sightings, countryside tour etc.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling the Philippines for 6 weeks- need some direction

need some direction

----------------------------

The first direction to head is the nearest Philippines consulate and arrange a 59 day visa. But you can't do that until after 17th September as the 59 day visa expires if you don't use it within 3 months.

The next thing is that you have to decide what is important to you. There is so much to do in the Philippines and 6 weeks is not enough time to do it all.

My personal favourite islands are the following

Siquijor. It has

- faith healers in the mountains.

- white sand beaches

- historical sights/sites

- diving/snorkelling

- a huge triple waterfall called Cambugahay falls

- a butterfly sanctuary

- the Cantabon cave

- rice paddies which means there is a high chance of seeing a Carabao in action

Bohol, including Panglao island. they have

- White sand beaches

- Diving/snorkelling

- the Chocolate Hills

- whale and dolphin watching

- tarsier sanctuaries

- butterfly sanctuaries

- wild life sanctuaries

- fire fly tours

- adventure tours including zip lining/flying fox

- historical sites dating back to 1565

- several waterfalls

- swimming underground in the Hinagdanan cave

- lunch tours on the Loboc river

- hanging bamboo bridges over the Loboc river

- the Bohol Bee Farm where you can see mats, clothes and knick knacks being made then eat a meal with edible flowers and honey.

- rice paddies which means there is a high chance of seeing a Carabao in action

Camiguin Island. It has,

- volcano trekking.

- a huge, white sand, sand bar called White Island

- Hot springs. Ardent Hot Springs is a series of pools ranging from luke warm to 38c. Some of the pools have mini waterfalls.

- Cold springs

- historical sights/sites

- A sunken cemetery

- Waterfalls

- Diving/snorkelling

- Rice paddies. Which means there is a high chance of seeing a Carabao in action.

Biliran. It has

- Yellow sand beaches

- Hot springs

- Cold springs

- Waterfalls

- Volcanos although I have not heard of any trekking to the volcanos

- Bat caves used by the Japanese during the second world war

- Diving/snorkelling from nearby islands such as Maripipi

- A cemetery where you can see human skulls and bones

- Mini rice terraces and rice paddies so there is a good chance of seeing Carabao in action

Malapascua Island. It has

- White sand beaches

- Diving/snorkelling

- People living as their ancestors have for hundreds of years. I don't mean they dress up for tourists. They wear modern clothes but live in bamboo huts, water supply is a well and they have no electricity. They rely on fishing and tourism to get by. So, you are very likely to see a bangka boat (outrigger) being built or repaired.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,845 posts
1,983 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling the Philippines for 6 weeks- need some direction

I agree: Siquijor Island is absolutely first class: beautiful untouched white sand beaches, Catholic churches, snorkelling, unhurried lifestyle and even a small butterfly sanctuary 'up the hill' run by a committed family man.

Fly from Manila to Dumaguete City with Philippine Airlines (recommended) or Cebu Pacific, then take one of 11 daily ferries to Siquijor Island. The boat trip takes 90 minutes or a bit less.

4. Re: Travelling the Philippines for 6 weeks- need some direction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 00:58
Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling the Philippines for 6 weeks- need some direction

Unless you like hot noisy cities I would get off the plane in Manila and then get on another one to one of the islands, Bohol or straight to Boracay to chill out. Manila is hot - even in the middle of winter

59 day visa can be obtained by downloading a form then sending to visa section in your country

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling the Philippines for 6 weeks- need some direction

Nice places to go to aside from Boracay are Palawan, Baguio, Tagaytay, Batanes, Davao.

7. Re: Travelling the Philippines for 6 weeks- need some direction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:17