We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

Mandaluyong...
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

Hi All,

My friend and I are going to have a trip to the north in September. I need help to know where to head first. Our arrival would be at 7pm on a Saturday so we need to know where to go first...Vigan (South of Loaog-Ilocos Sur) or Pagudpud (North of Loaog- Ilocos Norte).

My dilemma is whether we can find a place to stay when we get to Loaog and where to head first considering that our flight back to Manila will be on a Monday at 8 pm. The distance and number of places we need to go to is too far away from each other and we have only 2 nights and 2 days for this trip.

Please help. Thanks!

Manila, Philippines
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

hi,i am from laoag,i'am now based here in manila but i can give you an idea how to enjoy ur visit to my place.First,the best bus liner that i recommend id farinas Trans, it's terminal is in sampaloc just right in-front of UST hospital,u wont miss it.

Second you can stay at JAva hotel also own by the Farinases.the hotel is new and farinas bus can help you get there with no fuss.

NOw if you need a tour guide to tour you around, it would coz you 15oo to 3k. but if you want to go for adventure and discover the place alone here is the best itenerary

first day--- LAoag city proper

suba beach, fort ilocandia,batac,currimao beach,sarrat, paoay church and paoay lake

second day---go far north

light house,pagudpud.(spend the whole day at the beach in pagudpud if you can.

OR get back in the afternoon to laoag and pack your things check out of the hotel and ride a phil rabbit bus going to VIgan. explore vigan the whole day .then back to manila

if you have any questions or need help,let me know

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

Thanks for the post charmasantos! I'm hoping if you could also assist me. Same thing here. We're planning to have a trip to Ilocos (probably 3D/2N) this September for my bday. Its just the two of us.

I wonder what bus company would you recommend? You mentioned fariñas. But how about Partas? By any chance would you know mucf is the rate?

For the hotel, how much per night at Java Hotel? Any other hotel aside from Java?

Okay will go to Laoag first. Any affordbale hotels (except for Java)?

Where is Cape Bojeador loacted?

Lastly, what are the places to see in Vigan? Any affordbale hotel would you recommend?

Sorry for the many questions but am just asking so I can determine how much budget would i bring for the trip. Many thanks.

fairfield...
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

If, at all, possible, avoid staying at Fort Ilocandia. It's nice to see it for a day trip out of curiousity but that's about all. It's location is not easily accesible if you don't have a car. Aside from that, read the reviews. Not at all that great.

You are better off staying closer to downtown Laoag.

Enjoy...:-)

Papalo

Manila, Philippines
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

hi would still recommend farinas because you will be safer. the stop over restaurant in tarlac is owned by them so you will be safe.there are no stop over terminals . there are lots of good hotels in the town the proper .you can check out some pictures of java hotel http://javahotellaoag.multiply.com/

Manila, Philippines
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

Cape Bojeador is located in pasuquin ilocos norte farther north, if you plan to go to pagudpud you will not miss is along the way

Manila, Philippines
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

the bus rate to laoag is 700 to 800 pesos

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

Thanks, Charma. How long would it take us to go to Ilocos?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

Arriving on a saturday night flight and leaving for a monday night flight leaves you with actually a little more than one and a half day!

Did the same thing a few months ago but we arrived Laoag lunch time. Had lunch in Laoag and took the bus to Pagudpud. Arrived at the beachfront resort around 4pm. So we enjoyed the beach til sunset. The next day, we hired a tricycle to bring us to the different spots (Cape Bojeador, Kapurpurawan Rock, Bangui Windmills, Blue Lagoon, and the Patapat Viaduct). Had a detour at the market to buy kilos of lobsters we had steamed and frozen then brought it back to Manila hehehe. The next day, still based in Pagudpud, had a relaxed morning at the beach, then hired a car to bring us to the airport, but was able to talk to the driver to make some stops at the famous bakery in Pasuquin, bought bagnet and cornick at Laoag market, had the delicious pizzas (pinakbet and dinuguan), and miki infront of the beautiful heritage church of Paoay, before going to the airport.

As it is, it was a bit hectic already. But we enjoyed it. If you'd squeeze in Vigan, it might just be cutting it too close. Unless of course you wouldnt want to relax at the beach, so you could leave Pagudpud on your last day, early morning, to explore Vigan and do your shopping there before taking the 2 hour trip back to Laoag for your flight.

Its a matter of priorities: Would you want a walking tour of a heritage village or would you want a mix of sights and the beach?

My father is actually from Vigan and I love the place for its laid back pace. For some though, they find it boring and worth just a day trip. I enjoyed Pagudpud after psyching myself that it can never be the Boracay of the North. By managing your expectations you'd enjoy it. Plus of course the lobsters! You just have to research how you can find them cheap. Cause if you'll just be staying at the resorts there, its hard to find good and reasonably priced food.

So is it the beaches of Pagudpud or the heritage village of Vigan?

One more thing to consider: waters may be rough during your time of visit... but resorts charge the lowest during your time of visit so try to haggle for a good price!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

"Had a detour at the market to buy kilos of lobsters we had steamed and frozen then brought it back to Manila hehehe."

- something wrong with the statement, sorry. Bought lobsters in Pagudpud which we had steamed and frozen and prepared for our flight back to Manila.

For the curious foodie, lobsters in Pagudpud are much smaller in size, just bigger than the big tiger prawns for just about P350-450/kilo, depending on the size. The ones I got then was P400/kilo, about 7-9 pcs/kilo.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
94 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Laoag: Vigan or Pagudpud

Thanks for the pointers impulsetraveller! We are not so much of beach bums. We just enjoy beautiful sceneries discovering new places, and visits. We're planning to have the Ilocos tour this September since its my birthday. I hope that 3 days 2 nights woul suffice for us to visit Laoag-Pagudpud-Vigan.